Author Topic: Some newbie questions before I get started!  (Read 3250 times)

randomfeelings

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Some newbie questions before I get started!
« on: October 09, 2008, 07:28:57 pm »
Hello all

I was just about to spend out on Sonos amongst other things, but being a geek decided to see if there was something that would do more, and that I could really get my teeth into.

So here I am - excited!! As there's so much this can do, I'd really appreciate some thoughts / corrections to my assumptions and queries :)

1. Is the phone side of things compatible with SIP and H323, or just one of them?

2. Can I use a standard voice modem to connect to the phone network?

3. (Forgive me if my terminology is incorrect here, I came here after finding plutohome) - can I use any linux compatible base as a 'media director', and if so can anyone recommend a noiseless, slimline device for this purpose - or is there a better way?

4. Does the 'follow the bluetooth signal work with MCE, and if so:
    a. Does it work well?
    b. What happens if two people walk into a room at the same time?  ;D
    c. I've seen on the wiki that you can use the RS232 port on some plasmas etc - presumably this is for turning the telly on? Will this work for most tellys?

5. Is there the ability to
    a. name / choose rooms, and assign music to them (presumably by using a squeeze box by the looks of it?
    b. 'link' rooms as with the sonos to play the same thing in two rooms?

Any other "you'd like this..." or "Watchout for..." comments welcome!

TIA!

randomfeelings

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Some newbie questions before I get started!
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2008, 07:35:13 pm »
Oh, and one more question (sorry) that I forgot to ask:

6. Is there any way of linking LinuxMCE to Napster, or similar service, for on demand streaming of music? Sonos can do this, but I'm guessing there's some kind of commercial agreement going on there :(

freymann

• Douchebag
  • Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2008, 07:50:08 pm »
2. Can I use a standard voice modem to connect to the phone network?

No.

3. (Forgive me if my terminology is incorrect here, I came here after finding plutohome) - can I use any linux compatible base as a 'media director', and if so can anyone recommend a noiseless, slimline device for this purpose - or is there a better way?

Please check the wiki for recommendations on hardware. Basically, a barebones machine with some RAM, CPU, NIC and a compatible video card are all you need at each entertainment area. You can go cheap (and a little noisy) with a nice barebones kit to more expensive and quiet (like the msi media live).

5. Is there the ability to
    a. name / choose rooms, and assign music to them (presumably by using a squeeze box by the looks of it?
    b. 'link' rooms as with the sonos to play the same thing in two rooms?

Part of the installation process is to input the rooms of your house and give them a name. You really only need to add rooms where you will you have a media director, lights, HVAC or anything else you may be controlling.

LMCE will allow you to play the same media on any/all MD's... you can either start them all manually or use the on-screen media menu to assign the output from one MD to the other MD's of your choosing. Presumably, things should be "in sync" from room to room but this never happens with my AMD64 setup. The ability is there, your mileage may vary. This isn't so bad when it comes to a TV show or Movie, but if you're playing music (loudly) throughout the house and each area is a few seconds out of sync it can drive you nuts.

6. Is there any way of linking LinuxMCE to Napster, or similar service, for on demand streaming of music? Sonos can do this, but I'm guessing there's some kind of commercial agreement going on there

I think somebody discussed adding streaming audio (or was it video?) in the forums, have a search. As far as I know there's no hook into Napster, iStore, NetFlix, or things like that.

The other items you mentioned that I didn't touch on are because I don't have experience with those items.

randomfeelings

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2008, 07:56:14 pm »
Thanks freymann. Can you expand on your 'no' to the question about voice modem cards - is there a card one can buy to connect to the phone network on an analogue line?

freymann

• Douchebag
  • Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2008, 08:05:49 pm »
Thanks freymann. Can you expand on your 'no' to the question about voice modem cards - is there a card one can buy to connect to the phone network on an analogue line?

Yes, a FXO card is what you need I believe.

Search the forums for "POTS" or "FXO" and you should get lots of information on this part of things.

We don't have VOIP available where I am (and our DSL line isn't reliable enough to go that route anyway) but I was toying with the idea of having LMCE attached to our plain ole telephone system, but the wife said absolutely NOT!

Afkpuz

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2008, 10:18:01 pm »
I've made some videos that might help you.  They won't answer your specific questions, but will help you get your mind around the system.  Goto youtube and search for "pandaman123213".  The only videos I have up are about LMCE, so check them out for newb information and guidance. 

Good luck!