Author Topic: Trouble showing media - First Time User  (Read 1912 times)

B1scu1T

• First post!
    • View Profile
Trouble showing media - First Time User
« on: October 07, 2008, 11:06:28 pm »
I recently set up a system using

Nforce 620i Mobo
Nvidia 6200TC
1GB Ram
Realtek Ethernet Card
Sata DVD Drives
SATA II 750 GB samsung drive containing all my videos and music etc
SATA II 320 GB WD drive empty
IDE 80GB Drive which i used for the OS.

All the hard drives are formatted to EXT 3

At the moment all i actually want to use this for is to play my media back on my livingroom tv and share all the files on my network however LinuxMCE doesnt show up any of the files from the hard drive. How can i get LinuxMCE to show all my media from the samsung drive?

freymann

• Douchebag
  • Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Trouble showing media - First Time User
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2008, 11:57:23 pm »
I recently set up a system using
At the moment all i actually want to use this for is to play my media back on my livingroom tv and share all the files on my network however LinuxMCE doesnt show up any of the files from the hard drive. How can i get LinuxMCE to show all my media from the samsung drive?

Hello and welcome to the project!

At some point during your initial runs, LMCE should have asked you about the Samsung drive... specifically asking if you wish to use it.

How you answered that question will determine if LMCE catalogues the content.

Did you say:

1) No

2) Yes

3) Yes and use LMCE Directory Structure? (this doesn't erase anything, it just creates the directories btw)

If you answered 1 you will need to find the device number and remove it [in the pluto-admin web page] so LMCE asks you again, to which you should respond with #3.

I'm not sure what happens when you just say Yes but don't use the LMCE Directory Structure.

And if you answered #3, the preferred choice, you will need to ensure you have moved all your movies into the public/data/videos directory (you can create sub-directories below OK).

This wiki page may help you digest how things are laid out:

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Howto:_Using_Network_Shares

Your response to the question above will determine our answers and directions that follow.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 12:00:21 am by freymann »

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
Re: Trouble showing media - First Time User
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2008, 12:55:27 am »
To add to freymann's comments....

If you said yes (2) but told it not to use LMCE's structure, the UpdateMedia deamon will then just try to find all media on the drive - BUT it adds it to the "other" folder structure that cannot be accessed from the media library whilst it is in Filename sort mode. The other sort modes (eg Performer, Title, etc) will access them just fine, but because they rely on attribute tagging of your media, these modes will also appear to be blank until you have tagged your media. Note that video media will not be tagged at all until you do this manually through the web interface, although if you rip a DVD it should tag it automatically from the Internet. If your audio is mp3 then this will often already be tagged internally from when it was ripped.

As freymann pointed out, you should definitely use option 3, if you chose any other option, you really need to remove that drive from the LMCE configuration, and allow it to re-add and use option 3. As soon as you have moved your files into the folder structure it creates, you will start seeing your media appear under the Filename sort option in the media library even if you haven't tagged the media.