Author Topic: Symbian S60 3rd edition...compatibility....  (Read 3810 times)

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
Symbian S60 3rd edition...compatibility....
« on: October 04, 2008, 03:18:27 am »
I understand that only the 1st and 2nd editions of Symbian Series 60 OS's work, not the 3rd edition (nor 5th!)

Does anybody have any pointers on why the compatibility issue? Is it something really difficult to get around, or is it just that this hasn't attracted any priority so far?

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
Re: Symbian S60 3rd edition...compatibility....
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2008, 03:36:36 am »
The security APIs for s60v3 are drastically different from s60v2 and v1... so much so, that the entire plutoMO app would have to be rewritten around it.

Nobody has gotten around to it, because none of us have a symbian dev environment yet....

-Thom

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2008, 06:03:03 am »
That's a shit! Was hoping it would only be a minor thing. Also, I presume from your comments that means that the public SDK download for v3 isn't sufficient?

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2008, 12:57:48 pm »
it is sufficient. But as there are many changes in the SDK, a simple recompile does not work (like was done before for v2). This is no rocket science, someone with a bit knowledge of symbian can do that in a few days.

best regards,
Hari
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation

indulis

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2008, 07:08:31 am »
Note that the signed apps using the public SDK have limitations.  I think there is a time expiry on the app.  Bloody Symbian!  Signed apps indeed!

deffcon

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2008, 01:26:03 pm »
Hi,

If you run into problems about signing apps or time problems ( expire date ) you can try to set the date back to one year earlier to test the sdk.
I use this small lag to test apps on symbian os v3 ( Nokia E50 ) when i encounter the problems signning apps  on V3.

Dave