Author Topic: Web DT366 DIY  (Read 12778 times)

ivanp

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Web DT366 DIY
« on: March 20, 2009, 06:47:39 pm »
I recently bouht one from ebay but it only has 256MB of flash so i cant load it with Padorbiter. I was wondering did anyone try to open it and put a bigger flash (like from USB stick) in it. Cant find any manuals on net and wanted to ask first before opening it.

Thanx anyone on their anwsers.

jimmejames

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Web DT366 DIY
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2009, 06:58:36 pm »
Yes, and beware! 

I have yet to get one of mine working as a result of it.  Long story short, I tried to replace the internal flash chip (very easy) with a different capacity chip.  It's a 44 pin horizontal ide flash drive-  simple right?  Well turns out there are at least 2 different sized connectors for these chips.  I found that the chip that I ordered had a 5mm?? tall connector piece whereas the ones that fit these devices are 2.5mm??  Guessing at the heights- but something similar to that.  I have yet to find a supplier... 

I've tried cutting down the height of the connector and soldering off the pins from the original and put the old connector on the new chip.

Should be a simple (and relatively cheap) process, if you can find a supplier.  If you do, let me know.

ivanp

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2009, 07:51:15 pm »
Thanks for the infor jimmejames. i will try to do it over the weekend.

Should be a simple (and relatively cheap) process, if you can find a supplier.  If you do, let me know.

Take a look at this one: http://www.transcendusa.com/Products/ModDetail.asp?LangNo=0&ModNo=26

This one should fit in DT366.

This one is the bigger one You were talking about: http://www.transcendusa.com/Products/ModDetail.asp?LangNo=0&ModNo=26

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2009, 07:56:57 pm »
one could also strip down the image to its bare minimum.
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation

ivanp

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2009, 08:03:31 pm »
one could also strip down the image to its bare minimum.

Thanks Hari, but my Linux knowledge is minimum:) all i "know" is what i read here and surfed on wiki.

jimmejames

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2009, 08:42:50 pm »
The ones that I can find:  http://ec.transcendusa.com/product/ItemDetail.asp?ItemID=TS512MDOM44H-S  appear to be the taller sizes:  Size: 46.0mm x 28.0mm x 7.12mm

The other ones are "out of stock or not on shelf".  Where did you find the smaller ones?

angrymeat

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2009, 08:55:59 pm »
Is there perhaps a way to just make these units boot from a cf card in their cf addon slot ? I am trying to figure out how to make mine boot from that slot with little luck  .

jimmejames

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2009, 09:12:48 pm »
I tried that route a little as well with the same "little luck".  I couldn't figure out how to get the bios to boot from that slot- it seemed like based on the available options and motherboard connections that the option was available in the bios to boot from the CF slot, but I was never successful.

angrymeat

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2009, 09:17:09 pm »
I tried asking their support but my unit was sold to an oem   they work with so they wouldnt answer a single question or provide me with any kind of config manual

darkcirca

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2009, 09:20:34 pm »
They are a custom chip, made for DT's product. They are a lower profile than the ones out there. The best bet is to contact a DT Distributor or Reseller and ask them for one. It may be a bit pricey. I have the ability to get 1GB chips, but they are a bit more expensive - approx. $40.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 09:29:22 pm by darkcirca »

ivanp

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2009, 02:50:58 pm »
I have the ability to get 1GB chips, but they are a bit more expensive - approx. $40.

If that includes shipping to Croatia i would pay for that. Here in Croatia 1GB chip is around 35$ so i wouldnt mind getting extra 5$ for a chip made especially for DT366.

jimmejames

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2009, 07:38:07 pm »
You need to watch out on these as I said before that you get one that will connect to the unit- darkcirca knows what she is talking about.  As I found, NOT ANY CHIP WILL DO!

Just a warning

angrymeat

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2009, 07:47:06 pm »
i was just poiting thes eout because they are 44 pin  90 degree like the ones in the unit

darkcirca

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2009, 02:05:57 am »
You need to watch out on these as I said before that you get one that will connect to the unit- darkcirca knows what she is talking about.  As I found, NOT ANY CHIP WILL DO!

Just a warning

Yep - Thanks Jimmie. I know the cost from DT is quite a bit for an individual. I just know we have a few spare 1GB and that is the general cost, without shipping (PM/FCM would be cheap though).

You have to find low profile chips. They are usually by Apacer, but Apacer makes all sorts of chips. Best bet is to find an individual seller and ask them to measure the size. Someone may be making them, but I haven't seen any out there.