Author Topic: how do you pull up main menu in UI2  (Read 5568 times)

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
how do you pull up main menu in UI2
« on: October 06, 2008, 06:38:24 am »
without colored buttons?  The remote I'm using is the one that came with my cable box set as MS MCE in universal remote mode.  It works great EXCEPT it doesn't have the red/green/etc. buttons so I can't show/hide the menu buttons.  I have another remote that I dislike but I'm forced to keep it around just to press red or green when needed.

Short of c&p'ing the MS MCE remote config into a new remote config and remapping a couple buttons to be red/green, is there any way to bring up the menu without those buttons?  How is this supposed to work with a MS MCE remote without colored buttons (all I can seem to find for sale)?

I KNOW there are people successfully using non-gyro remotes in UI2 without color buttons, how are you doing it?

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
Re: how do you pull up main menu in UI2
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2008, 07:42:33 am »
without colored buttons?  The remote I'm using is the one that came with my cable box set as MS MCE in universal remote mode.  It works great EXCEPT it doesn't have the red/green/etc. buttons so I can't show/hide the menu buttons.  I have another remote that I dislike but I'm forced to keep it around just to press red or green when needed.

Short of c&p'ing the MS MCE remote config into a new remote config and remapping a couple buttons to be red/green, is there any way to bring up the menu without those buttons?  How is this supposed to work with a MS MCE remote without colored buttons (all I can seem to find for sale)?

I KNOW there are people successfully using non-gyro remotes in UI2 without color buttons, how are you doing it?

Try the pressing the 'Green button' on the remote to display the UI2 main menu.

Andrew
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2008, 06:30:08 pm »

Try the pressing the 'Green button' on the remote to display the UI2 main menu.

Andrew
The remote I'm using is the one that came with my cable box set as MS MCE in universal remote mode.  It works great EXCEPT it doesn't have the red/green/etc. buttons so I can't show/hide the menu buttons.  I have another remote that I dislike but I'm forced to keep it around just to press red or green when needed.

Are the green/red buttons the only way to pull up/hide the menu?  I can remap the remote codes for a couple keys to be red/green, but I know there are MS MCE remotes and a lot of non-MCE that don't have colored buttons.  How are those working for this?

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2008, 07:27:50 pm »
Probably by mapping some buttons to F6-F8.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2008, 08:22:22 pm »
The Menu key should pull up the menu. Although it seems just because a remote is MCE doesn't mean it has a consistent keymap. GO MICROSOFT!

-Thom

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2008, 10:16:20 pm »
Probably by mapping some buttons to F6-F8.
I was hoping to avoid that, but it looks like I'm going to have to.
The Menu key should pull up the menu. Although it seems just because a remote is MCE doesn't mean it has a consistent keymap. GO MICROSOFT!

-Thom

In this case, it's a universal remote set to MS MCE...  Although I wouldn't be surprised if the real issue is inconsistent mapping and this remote is using a slightly different one than what LinuxMCE expects.

So does this mean the menu button should act the same as red/green?  I do have a menu button, but it doesn't seem to do anything even though I see it sending a code (light on the remote).  I'll dig further and see if lmce knows it is the menu button or if it comes up as an unknown code.  Thanks, that helps.