Author Topic: Download links do not work  (Read 4855 times)

tripower

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Download links do not work
« on: October 03, 2008, 09:43:42 pm »
First, why is there a maze of links on the wiki that all take you back to the same place and Second when I finally get to the download links none of them seem to work. I am trying to download 704 for i386 DVD iso. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

freymann

• Douchebag
  • Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Download links do not work
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2008, 10:02:40 pm »
First, why is there a maze of links on the wiki that all take you back to the same place and Second when I finally get to the download links none of them seem to work. I am trying to download 704 for i386 DVD iso. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

The best way to get a copy of the DVD Iso is by using the torrent files...

Did you get to this page in the wiki?

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Mirrors_710

The very first link is from PirateBay and you should have great success with it.

On the other hand, why don't you point out to us what links aren't working so they can be corrected?

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2008, 12:51:57 am »
Yes, please always use the torrents, there is almost no chance you will get a corrupted download. The HTTP/FTP downloads are much more susceptable as they are so large and monolithic. The advice would be to start with the i386/DVD torrent (not DL)

tripower

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2008, 03:21:53 am »

The best way to get a copy of the DVD Iso is by using the torrent files...

Did you get to this page in the wiki?

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Mirrors_710

The very first link is from PirateBay and you should have great success with it.

On the other hand, why don't you point out to us what links aren't working so they can be corrected?

Yup, I managed to go to Kubuntu.org and download and load KDE4...love it. One thing I haven't touched used Kunbutu before. I downloaded CD1 and 2 of LinuxMCE burned the ISO's and I am not quite sure how to execute the install. I see a folder "deb-cache" and a DEB "box" - "mce-installer_2.0.1-1._i386" but I can't get it to execute. Any help is appreciated.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2008, 04:52:14 am by tripower »

freymann

• Douchebag
  • Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2008, 03:34:32 am »
Yup, I managed to go to Kubuntu.org and download and load KD4...love it. One thing I haven't touched used Kunbutu before. I downloaded CD1 and 2 of LinuxMCE burned the ISO's and I am not quite sure how to execute the install. I see a folder "deb-cache" and a DEB "box" - "mce-installer_2.0.1-1._i386" but I can't get it to execute. Any help is appreciated.

We seem to be going in circles.

Please re-read my initial response and download the DVD version from a torrent site.

The way you are talking above, about installing Kubuntu and then the two CD's of LMCE is way more difficult than you need to be doing.

Grab the DVD, preferably as a torrent. Install it. It takes under an hour. It will wipe your drive clean and give you a nice working copy of Kubuntu with LMCE.

And again, if you found bad links in the wiki, please report them to us so they can be corrected.

Did you read this page?  http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Installation_Guide

tripower

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2008, 03:48:53 am »
Yup, I managed to go to Kubuntu.org and download and load KD4...love it. One thing I haven't touched used Kunbutu before. I downloaded CD1 and 2 of LinuxMCE burned the ISO's and I am not quite sure how to execute the install. I see a folder "deb-cache" and a DEB "box" - "mce-installer_2.0.1-1._i386" but I can't get it to execute. Any help is appreciated.

We seem to be going in circles.

Please re-read my initial response and download the DVD version from a torrent site.

The way you are talking above, about installing Kubuntu and then the two CD's of LMCE is way more difficult than you need to be doing.

Grab the DVD, preferably as a torrent. Install it. It takes under an hour. It will wipe your drive clean and give you a nice working copy of Kubuntu with LMCE.

And again, if you found bad links in the wiki, please report them to us so they can be corrected.

Did you read this page?  http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Installation_Guide

OK. I already have KDE4 installed and do not want to go thru everything again so now I just need help getting the CD's loaded. Please thanks.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2008, 04:52:00 am by tripower »

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2008, 03:55:02 am »
KD4?

tripower

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2008, 04:53:09 am »
KD4?

Kubuntu 8.04 KDE4, yes can you help me load MCE?

freymann

• Douchebag
  • Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2008, 05:00:43 am »
KD4?

Sorry you've wasted your time lmce runs on 7.10. You really need to READ the installation info. Go back to my original response and start over. The path you are on right now is completely wrong.

tripower

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2008, 05:12:59 am »
KD4?

Sorry you've wasted your time lmce runs on 7.10. You really need to READ the installation info. Go back to my original response and start over. The path you are on right now is completely wrong.

OK then i'll start over.

tripower

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2008, 03:03:21 pm »
I managed to get the DVD ISO downloaded burned the DVD while going thru "Copying DVD to hard drive" I get the following error in RED:

ERROR: I/O failure while copying from the DVD

Any workarounds, is this common?
I am going to burn another copy from the same ISO, if I get the same error I will assume the ISO is corrupt.

freymann

• Douchebag
  • Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2008, 06:22:35 pm »
I managed to get the DVD ISO downloaded burned the DVD while going thru "Copying DVD to hard drive" I get the following error in RED:

ERROR: I/O failure while copying from the DVD

Any workarounds, is this common?
I am going to burn another copy from the same ISO, if I get the same error I will assume the ISO is corrupt.

Burn the DVD at the slowest write speed you can...