Author Topic: Other Media Centers  (Read 28747 times)

jgaffney

• Douchebag
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Other Media Centers
« Reply #45 on: October 13, 2008, 07:30:15 pm »
And still going.... Add golgo to the list of "no class".

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #46 on: October 13, 2008, 07:44:39 pm »
lol, add me to it, I only leave nonsense here to increase my post count.. what is your exact reason?

wait, I don't care :-)
* hari gets more popcorn
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 13, 2008, 08:22:57 pm »
you do realise, you're systematically alienating yourself from virtually every single major contributor? on both the user support and developer side?

-Thom

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #48 on: October 13, 2008, 08:32:43 pm »
Code: [Select]
         \  (oo)\_______
            (__)\       )\/\
                ||----w |
                ||     ||
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation

jgaffney

• Douchebag
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 13, 2008, 08:56:48 pm »
And you're continually creating bad PR for yourself and LMCE.  The difference is, I don't care about it, and you do.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 13, 2008, 08:58:20 pm »
Yes I do. Apparently you do too.

-Thom

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #51 on: October 13, 2008, 09:10:41 pm »
You are all just posting count whore's
« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 08:58:33 am by posde »

golgoj4

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • hrumpf!
    • View Profile
    • Mah Website
« Reply #52 on: October 14, 2008, 06:01:37 am »
You are all just posting count hure's

And?  :D
Linuxmce - Where everyone is never wrong, but we are always behind xbmc in the media / ui department.

golgoj4

• hrumpf!
    • View Profile
    • Mah Website
« Reply #53 on: October 14, 2008, 06:02:48 am »

no class but smart enough to read the directions. *shrugs* Haven't you found another forum to bitch @ by now?
Linuxmce - Where everyone is never wrong, but we are always behind xbmc in the media / ui department.

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 14, 2008, 07:11:19 am »
LinuxMCE has it's warts.  It's far from perfect.  However, it is getting better every release.  It's not just a media center although it does make for a pretty good one even if that's all you use it for.  The network centric and seamless storage alone add capabilities that as far as I know don't exist on any other system.  If there is some other setup where you can take a new diskless computer, plug it in the network, and a short time later be watching tv, listening to music, watching a movie, controlling your lights, etc. please tell me. 

I've had my issues, trust me.  I've been to the brink of giving up but with some helpful advice I got over it and warts and all I wouldn't want to switch to anything else.  I'm not a programmer so my ability to help the project comes from trying to help others, posting up information when I figure stuff out, etc.  Some of the devs here can be a bit harsh at times, but even though I've had my disagreements with them they are all good helpful people.  LinuxMCE is a huge complicated project, far more than any single program.  There are plenty of things I don't like or feel there could be huge improvements, including your main complaint about the UI.  Personally I have no use for touch screen, but it would be nice if there were more UI options, or a much easier way to create a new UI.  However, I know enough to realize this isn't a simple easy request.  The UI isn't as simple as configuring a new look and adding buttons.  UI1 is designed to work on any supported front end device, from TV screens to web pages, to phones, etc.  UI2 was designed (as I understand it) to be a gyro happy interface that tries to stay out of the way.  To address your concerns:

1.  Ease of use creating playlists - as mentioned, this appears to be in the works.  It's not great, but it's getting better.  I haven't seen the new version so I can't say how much better.
2. Cover art should be able to find at least 90% - If you rip your DVDs via LinuxMCE, it works great.  If not you can search via Amazon.  Never ripped a music CD via LinuxMCE, my music was previously ripped with other Linux tools, but I suspect it's similar.
3.  Touch screen compatabilty with UI2 -  If someone really needs a touchpad centric UI, there is a set of video tutorials for creation of a new UI, no programming required.
4. Netlix tie in - I have no interest in Netflix so I've never tried it, but this apparently works: http://wiki.linuxmce.com/index.php/Roku_Netflix_Player
5. It also just needs to work. The claim that no linux knowledge is a bit false to truly run LMCE - this is highly dependent on your hardware.  It's also a known limitation and gets better and better with every new release.  What I can say is if you have the right hardware, it really does just work.   I think the big issue with this is there isn't a good easy to read list or chart of natively (automagically) supported devices.  At least with LinuxMCE if a device isn't natively supported you can get it to work.

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 14, 2008, 02:57:19 pm »
i second !

jgaffney

• Douchebag
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 14, 2008, 06:12:12 pm »
I third it,  it's bringing far to much negativity to LMCE.

golgoj4

• hrumpf!
    • View Profile
    • Mah Website
« Reply #57 on: October 14, 2008, 06:36:52 pm »
I third it,  it's bringing far to much negativity to LMCE.

Aren't you the rocket scientist that started it?

jgaffney

• Douchebag
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 14, 2008, 06:46:35 pm »
Way to pick up on the sarcasm golgo,  you're are brilliant. (that was more sarcasm)

To clear it up for up you...again.  My origial post was looking from someone who used other media centers as the list of needs I have were not working out for me with LMCE.  As we all can see, there are to many hard headed people out here that took it personally.  And that brings us where we are today.

golgoj4

• hrumpf!
    • View Profile
    • Mah Website
« Reply #59 on: October 14, 2008, 06:50:10 pm »
Way to pick up on the sarcasm golgo,  you're are brilliant. (that was more sarcasm)

To clear it up for up you...again.  My origial post was looking from someone who used other media centers as the list of needs I have were not working out for me with LMCE.  As we all can see, there are to many hard headed people out here that took it personally.  And that brings us where we are today.

No, your inability to google brings us where we are today. And nothing else. And to be honest, someone who cant use google attempting to gauge my intelligence is nothing short of laughable.

This thread would more than likely die if you just stopped posting. But I suppose that goes to your 'class' that you always do. But have a nice day.  :D Must be hard out there for ya if finding a media center that has what you need is THAT difficult
« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 09:08:55 pm by golgoj4 »