Author Topic: Australian LMCE users.....  (Read 23478 times)

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
Re: Australian LMCE users.....
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2008, 02:44:54 am »
X10 works too, but it is very slow, unreliable and uni-directional. (unreliable mostly because it is unidirectional)

Pet-240

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2008, 12:57:39 am »
Hey Y'all,

In Brisbane as well, northside, but havin major issues getting it to load off either cd or dvd, started a thread last week at "no Joy with CD or DVD, wheres that hammer, am currently going through the two suggestions I've had so far and will get back to you.
Am also an electrican, Industrial Machines and wholeheartedly backup the two previous comments on safety, you can't see elec and it don't respect you, so please, please don't let the smoke out of the wire, this is usually very bad!!!!!
If in doubt, call a sparkie to at least check it before power up.
Now, on with the Acer argument......
keep you posted..

secs

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2008, 02:59:50 am »
Ok other than X10, whats available here in Australia that works well with LMCE?

I also program in Delphi (Pascal) and use MikroPascal to program up PIC's so was thinking about making up a PIC to do what I want and connecting via the serial port. This I gather would be a GSD. Are they bi-directional? If I can get LMCE to send data out as simple TEXT etc that will do all I need as far as turning on relays etc but can I have my PIC send serial text back to the LMCE and have it act upon it. If I can, I will build up my own interfaces to my gear here like my custom built HVAC unit, Exhaust fans etc..

I have signed up on the yahoo groups for the Aus stuff.

Thanks all

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2008, 04:30:21 am »
Bugger all! Insteon and Z-Wave are the two most supported other than X10, but neither have Australian versions yet (ZWave may do in the future, seems unlikely that Insteon will as it doesn't support EU yet either). EIB is another, but that is primarily EU and expensive, never seen it here.

Dan recently added support for PLCBus, which is a Chinese/HK product but explicitly supports the AU/NZ market as well as N.A. and EU. Relatively cheap but more expensive than X10 still, though faster and bi-directional. I believe someone is already using it in AU but can't remember who. You can order direct from their HK web site.

Yes, you can get the GSD to send and receive basic text strings using Ruby code in the web admin, to a serial port. Or you can write your own DCE device from  the ground up and do anything you like. For GSD, you just create a device template, plug in the Ruby codes for the things you want it to send and associate each command group with a DCE command, then the GSD device will handle the translation of DCE commands coming in, to the Ruby code it needs to execute to send a particular text string out the serial port. Then the placement of the device in the Devices Tree and the pipes you set up allow LMCE to determine which DCE commands to send to that device, and when to send them.

secs

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2008, 06:20:44 am »
I will have a look at the PLCBus stuff.

As fro the GSD one, the only reason I am looking at that is all my stuff in my initial install and test is wired back to a central point and I already play and create projects with PICs. Therefore I have most of the gear so I can play a bit.

I did find a bit of info on the Ruby side of things for sending text but limited on recieving and responding etc to incoming text messages via serial. I will do a bit more searching on this as its the most cost effective for myself. If anyone has a link or to for Incoming messages and how they are handled I would be very greatful.

I must point out I am only in the initial setup stage. I have been looking around for a setup and have been thrilled to find LMCE so just getting used to what I can do.

I am especially interested in the CCTV side of things and firing events from movement etc. I was initially looking at Zoneminder as it does a heap and also has the ability to move images etc of site. Does anyone have much experience with whats offered as part of the LMCE camera inclsive? I do like the idea of being able to see my cameras form anywhere in the building though. I have even toyed with the idea of running LMCE and a Zoneminder box side by side and splitting the camera's into the 2 systems,

As for the X10, yes I have found it to be non reliable in its use. I sometimes have to hit rf remotes etc a couple of times and lights seem to come on randomly. Not every time but a couple of times I have noticed that I look around and what was meant to be off is now on.

Thanks all.
Peter

JJFLASH

• First post!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2008, 12:18:59 pm »
Hi All

Sydney,  currently using GBPVR  to record TV shows in the study and XBMC on an xbox at the TV for TV and DVD playback.  Works well except the xbox can't do full high def video. Got a Popcorn Hour to go high def but didn't work as I wanted it to.

From what I've read LinuxMCE will do what I need and much much more. So I want to get stuck into LinuxMCE and make sure I get the right hardware first time.

I can't wait to see what you all have under the hood in Oz.

Cheers
Dan

wilsonj

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2008, 08:33:28 pm »
Howdy,

I'm in country SA. Been using BeyondTV for years, and lately Vista MCE. LinuxMCE looks like it does what I want.  Although I have asked for a little help on another thread in this forum. Hope one of you more experienced users could take a look.

Cheers
Jamie

Shodanho

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2008, 11:38:47 pm »
Bugger all! Insteon and Z-Wave are the two most supported other than X10, but neither have Australian versions yet (ZWave may do in the future, seems unlikely that Insteon will as it doesn't support EU yet either). EIB is another, but that is primarily EU and expensive, never seen it here.

Dan recently added support for PLCBus, which is a Chinese/HK product but explicitly supports the AU/NZ market as well as N.A. and EU. Relatively cheap but more expensive than X10 still, though faster and bi-directional. I believe someone is already using it in AU but can't remember who. You can order direct from their HK web site.

Yes, you can get the GSD to send and receive basic text strings using Ruby code in the web admin, to a serial port. Or you can write your own DCE device from  the ground up and do anything you like. For GSD, you just create a device template, plug in the Ruby codes for the things you want it to send and associate each command group with a DCE command, then the GSD device will handle the translation of DCE commands coming in, to the Ruby code it needs to execute to send a particular text string out the serial port. Then the placement of the device in the Devices Tree and the pipes you set up allow LMCE to determine which DCE commands to send to that device, and when to send them.

Hi I suggest if people want to have insteon in Australia then you should visit this page http://www.envioustechnology.com.au/ and submit your interest.  Dont know if it will work but it may get some people to look more seriously into it if a lot of people are showing interest.

It cant hurt to try  :)

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2008, 11:49:00 pm »
I think I would much prefer to see ZWave!

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2008, 01:29:31 am »
is on the way...
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation

Shodanho

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 13, 2008, 03:10:59 am »
is on the way...

Is a company planning on making an Australian version of Zwave?
This would be very good as I really did not know which way to go with the automation side of things. :o

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 13, 2008, 08:25:02 am »
Not that I'm aware of  - there is an RF frequency allocated, but I don't believe anybody is working on the hardware. I think Hari might have been talking about the new driver rather than the hardware.

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #42 on: November 13, 2008, 11:36:08 am »
the latest zensys chips support the new frequencies. We should see some devices over the next months.

best regards,
Hari

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 13, 2008, 09:21:17 pm »
Great news! Just hope that a manufacturer will actually pick it up for our market (as they still need to change the power plug format! Minor change, but its a very small market to bother with <25m people)

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #44 on: November 13, 2008, 09:29:32 pm »
as eastern companies also produce z-wave stuff nowadays (like Everspring) I'd strongly assume there should be some stuff soon..

br hari