Author Topic: Australian LMCE users.....  (Read 23483 times)

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
Australian LMCE users.....
« on: October 03, 2008, 12:48:59 am »
Darren Mason and I have been chatting about an Australian LMCE Users Group. Perhaps just a simple mailing list to toss ideas around for some monthly telecon meetings? I know there are quite a few AU users out there, and given that there are a number of specific challenges to using LMCE in an Australian context, it might be useful for us to share our knowledge and research...

In any case, can any Australian users please post here so we can get a feel for how many there are around? If we get some interest in this then we will follow up with some details on the hows and whats...

Col.

Crawtech

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Australian LMCE users.....
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2008, 04:30:15 am »
well i am here
and a Australian group sounds good to me  :)

darrenmason

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2008, 04:38:42 am »
What a good idea  ;)

The main reason for an Australian user group would be to address some of the following;

* Hardware availability - what is here, where to get it (cheap), how to get stuff effectively that is not available locally (eg: fiire remotes)
* Home automation - there is not many options so what works, getting Australian distributors onboard etc
* Other aspects - getting asterisk working, australian voip providers, working with foxtel,

The other reason to form a user group is (for me) to have a scheduled time to talk linuxMCE to others and share setups etc. This can be somewhat achieved on the forums as well of course but there is also the opportunity of actually physically helping each other out with setup etc and showing off your kit I guess.

Anyway,
If we get enough feedback then we will look at the options for setting this up and the logistics around meeting (ie; physical/virtual etc)

Regards
Darren

wombiroller

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2008, 02:52:24 pm »
Hey All,

I'm in Melbourne  :D

indulis

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2008, 03:18:29 pm »
Perth calling...

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2008, 05:15:30 pm »
What a good idea  ;)

The main reason for an Australian user group would be to address some of the following;

* Hardware availability - what is here, where to get it (cheap), how to get stuff effectively that is not available locally (eg: fiire remotes)

You could just get started by adding them here: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Where_to_Buy#Australia
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

Crawtech

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2008, 01:55:31 am »
Hi indulis
Nice to meet some one else in Perth

justdeb

• Veteran
  • Hope to become good enough to teach others
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2008, 08:43:52 am »
Hi From Brisbane,

I think this would be a great idea.

Regards

Justin

davewantsmoore

• First post!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2008, 04:21:08 am »
Potential user in Tassie.

(Currently MythTV / XBMC)

justdeb

• Veteran
  • Hope to become good enough to teach others
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2008, 09:41:09 am »
Hi All,

I have added in an entry already - i never knew this existed.

To all the aussies - lets get this up and running. I don't currently use x10 or any other products, but have started to read up alot about it  - it would be good if someone out there who has it and found the supplier to be easy to deal with could post some updates.

Similarly with the cameras - if anyone has a good supplier pls add it as i would be most interested.

Regards

Justin

indulis

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2008, 07:53:55 am »
X10 stuff is now at your local Bunnings.  You can get a CM-11A (USB interface) off the shelf.  I can also recommend the wireless wall switches (4xrockers, RF, put RF to X10 receiver into power point).

darrenmason

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2008, 12:29:29 am »
I noticed it a few weeks back as well (at bunnings that is).

indulis - how reliable are they? They still seem too expensive.

I think that PLCBUS would work out about the same price and according to them is far more reliable.

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2008, 12:46:56 am »
Darren - you are using PLCBUS already aren't you? How do you find their wall switches for lights? Do they fit standard AU profiles? I am curious because I am renting at the moment, so making modifications to walls to accommodate larger profile or deeper wall switches isn't really an option!

darrenmason

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2008, 12:55:05 am »
I am using PLCBUS, but only in my back room at the moment.

The short answer is no they don't fit a normal switch profile. They are smaller (and hard to mount). That is the crystal switches anyway. I have had to patch and paint the previous hole and this is obviously not what you wanted to hear. That said I didn't get any mounting kit with it and I believe they make one - but the physical switch is still a fair bit smaller than a large normal switch .

The other option is to use a regularly momentary switch and the modules - which can be mounted behind the switch or in the ceiling. I am looking into this for further rooms as I think this is neater (and cheaper)

richardcau74

• First post!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2008, 01:43:46 am »
Hey
Im from Melbourne nice to meet you all