Author Topic: Australian LMCE users.....  (Read 23486 times)

PKWilson

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Australian LMCE users.....
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2008, 07:32:33 am »
Hi all, I'm in Brisbane and also a happy LMCE + PLCBUS user.

Cheers

justdeb

• Veteran
  • Hope to become good enough to teach others
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2008, 07:41:15 am »
Hello from brisbane as well.

Regards

Justin

PKWilson

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2008, 08:07:15 am »
Just to add to the PLCBUS discussion. I pretty much have all my house lights using it now. I've only bought one crystal wall switch, and yes, it was a bit of a pain having to patch up half the existing wall switch hole to make it fit.

I also tried using standard clipsal or hpm (can't recall which) momentary switches for the lights, but I didn't really like the stiff feel of them. You had to give them a good push to get them to work. So I've gone for the simtone momentary wall switches. Sadly, the square size means I'm back to patching and painting the wall switches to make them fit, but they have a much nicer feel and look in my opinion.

My biggest problem is that the ripple control signal that is sent out by the power company to control tariffs plays havoc with my dimmed lights. They flicker badly for about 10 seconds on the hour, almost every hour. Not sure how to fix that. I'm going to see if the Megaman DimmERable (not to be confused with the dimmable range) compact fluorescent lights are any better...as soon as they make it to Australia and assuming they work with the PLCBUS dimmers.

Cheers
Phil

justdeb

• Veteran
  • Hope to become good enough to teach others
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2008, 09:56:07 am »
Phil,

It sounds like you have gone down the track that i am currently exploring. Could you let me know what your setup consists of and where u got your bits and pieces. I don't mind patching walls... and it gives the wife an excuse to get out of the house .....

Regards

Justin

cyf4746

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2008, 10:50:52 am »
Hi guys.. I am from Malaysia... If you guys need Zwave devices (UK type). I can supply.

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2008, 03:34:25 pm »
Notwithstanding that the UK devices are not legal in Australia, what prices are you able to get?

jo006

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2008, 10:15:23 am »
Hi Guys,

I'm from Brisbane

Regards

Justin

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2008, 11:26:42 pm »
OK guys, can you all please PM me your email addresses? I have set up a Yahoo group for the mailing list.

aulmceug@yahoogroups.com

and

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/aulmceug

Once I get them, I will start sending the invitations out..

marvinrox

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2008, 09:41:35 am »
In Melbourne

Currently spending heaps of time reading through all the info trying to work out how to start and which components I can get in AU

A group would be good to share experiences. Thanx to Colin for getting it started.

Cheers, Mark
C/H - Asus M2N68-VM, AMD AM2 5200+, 4Gb Kingston (2x2), 500Gb SATA, Gigabit LAN card, DVICO DD4, DNS-343, LG LCD, BenQ DLP

chipppy

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2008, 11:53:08 am »
Hey from somewhere in Aussie.  Not sure where I am at the moment but hoping to get home sometime this month. I travel between three diffent locations as a FIFO worker

I am an Instrument/Control technician Technician that has done some coding of various PLC (Programmable Logic Controller)and DCS (Distrubuted Control Systems) and a little structured text and programming.  I am happy to try writting some code but I will need a lot of help due to being brand new to Linux. 
I dont currently have a system.  I am currently trying to speck up a system to build for the tin lids (kids) so they can watch thier millions of movies and also ABC1 & 2

Anyway I can help just ask.

Cheers
chipppy
ASUS P5Q SE/R, Gigabyte 8400GS - Composite TV, 4GB 1066, Intel E8500 3.15GHz dual core, 500GB HDD + 1TG HDD, Divco FusionHDVT DVB-T Digital Dual 4 TV tuner.

'Cry wolf and let slip the dogs of war'

cyf4746

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2008, 04:08:32 am »
Notwithstanding that the UK devices are not legal in Australia, what prices are you able to get?

Please send email to my mail box cyf4746@iuworld.net. I will email the price list.

slampt

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2008, 07:43:49 am »
Hi Colin,

Do we actually have to sign up with Yahoo to use this group I went to the URL you posted but couldn't find anywhere to add my email address they wanted me to register. :(

Slampt

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2008, 10:17:08 pm »
If you follow the invitation to yahoogroups from there you can register an account to login to the group. I presume that the invitation link will mean you get taken straight into the correct group automatically. From there you can configure the account with the email addresses you want for the mailing list, and other group activities etc...

chipppy

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2008, 02:16:46 am »
Hey peoples
A couple of things to mention here, because I am a Aussie licensed electrican.  I am not trying to be a kill joy but I thought it important that you know

First please be very carefull when playing with electricity.  It hurts, a lot.  Too often it kills.  Make sure that you isolate all the relevant circuits before working on them.  If in doubt call an electrican

Secondly if you install some electrical bits that dont meet the relevant Australian Standards into your house and that causes a fire, and burn the house down.  Your insurance company will try really hard to use that as an excuss to not payout.  They usually win those fight because you now have no house and therefor no money and they have very big buckets of it.

So please think very carefully before using equipment that dosent meet the relevant australian standards, especially when it comes to electricity.  Sorry for the killjoy thing but I would hate to hear that someone
has go hurt

cheers
chipppy
ASUS P5Q SE/R, Gigabyte 8400GS - Composite TV, 4GB 1066, Intel E8500 3.15GHz dual core, 500GB HDD + 1TG HDD, Divco FusionHDVT DVB-T Digital Dual 4 TV tuner.

'Cry wolf and let slip the dogs of war'

secs

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2008, 02:25:09 am »
Canberra Here. Just looking into it. Whats the go with PLCBus? Why not X10?

Also a Lic Sparky