Author Topic: What rewrites xorg.conf all the time and how do I stop it?  (Read 2634 times)

indulis

• Veteran
    • View Profile
What rewrites xorg.conf all the time and how do I stop it?
« on: September 27, 2008, 04:32:17 am »
OK, I have checked that AVWizardDone = 1 is in /eytc/pluto.conf, so it is not AVWizard.

What is rewriting xorg.conf?  I can't get to test my changes because the standard one crashes X before the Orbiter starts up, I change it, reboot and there I am back to the same "standard' xorg.conf.

This makes it very very hard to try to get new hardware combinations working. 

Does anyone have a hint?

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
Re: What rewrites xorg.conf all the time and how do I stop it?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2008, 04:46:32 am »
Sorry, Indulis, I can't really help you, but I can say that under normal circumstances this doesn't happen - I wonder if it is still in the process of completing the wizard? If you have never successfully gotten into LMCE, then perhaps that's why. Have you checked if it is overwriting it with the xorg.conf.pluto.avwizard file? This is commonly what the wizard does, so sometimes editing that with what you want is helpful.

indulis

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: What rewrites xorg.conf all the time and how do I stop it?
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2008, 05:54:35 am »
Thanks- something is also removing the xorg-drivers-fglrx package.

Don't know what I've done this time, actually got all the way through the AVwizard and the video setup then everything went horrible.  I never get the orbiter up fully, it crashes near the last steps. I followed the steps on the wiki, but ended up with crashing X instead.

Just about to give up on the ATI video.  Had enough of fighting LinuxMCE to get it working. Pity.  With the proprietary drivers it was very close to working. 

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous