Author Topic: Adding Creative Remote Control using USBUIRT?  (Read 2742 times)

MarkFleming

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
Adding Creative Remote Control using USBUIRT?
« on: September 27, 2008, 03:59:46 am »
Hi Everyone,

Firstly, apologies if this is a dumb question. I've hit the wiki, searched the forum and simply can't get my head around how to add my remote...

I've bought a USBUIRT, and was hoping to run my Media Centre using a Creative RM-1500 remote that came with the sound card on another computer. There is an existing device template in Linux MCE, so I was hoping that all would be working...

So I've plugged in the USBUIRT, and it has shown up as an IR receiver. I then go to 'Media Directors' in the admin page, made sure the IR receiver was set to USBUIRT and added my remote control (picking the RM-1500 device template). I've restarted the whole system, but it's not picking it up. (Instructions as per the wiki: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Control_LinuxMCE_using_an_Infrared_remote)

I'm honestly not sure where to go from here... I've seen some references to adding A/V devices to control, but I'm not sure what sort of device I might need to add? My TV is on the S-Video-RCA output of my graphics card, so it doesn't get controlled by the media centre...

Would anyone please be able to help a newbie out?

freymann

• Douchebag
  • Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Adding Creative Remote Control using USBUIRT?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2008, 03:07:57 pm »
I've bought a USBUIRT, and was hoping to run my Media Centre using a Creative RM-1500 remote that came with the sound card on another computer. There is an existing device template in Linux MCE, so I was hoping that all would be working...

If all else fails, search eBay and purchase a MCE Remote. Should run you about $10-$20 + Shipping. That remote works well with the USB-UIRT.

I'm honestly not sure where to go from here... I've seen some references to adding A/V devices to control, but I'm not sure what sort of device I might need to add? My TV is on the S-Video-RCA output of my graphics card, so it doesn't get controlled by the media centre...

The remote, if it's working, should let you navigate around the screen to select music, videos, tv, etc. If you're looking at the A/V Devices, that comes later, when you want to train LMCE to turn on/off your TV, receivers, etc. First you need to get the remote working and then worry about controlling other devices.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2008, 05:08:47 pm »
There isn't a UIRT template for that remote. One just needs to be made. There are instructions on how to do this, in the wiki.

-Thom

MarkFleming

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2008, 08:45:21 am »
Thanks for the replies guys.

freymann, I'll keep the windows MCE remote purchase as a backup plan ;)
The other thing I can always do is get an IR keyboard, and a learning remote...

So I definitely don't need to set up an A/V device for the remote to work? This is good...

tschak909, I did see a template for an RM-1500 remote... though maybe I've got it wrong?

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2008, 01:37:21 pm »
Please listen,

again, this is an LIRC based template.

The USB UIRT driver uses DCE directly and does not use LIRC.

We have several main forms of IR transcievers that can deal with remotes:

* LIRC
* USB UIRT
* Tira
* IRTrans

A REMOTE TEMPLATE HAS TO BE MADE FOR EACH.

Making a remote template is explained in the wiki, and will need to be done for your transciever.

-Thom