Author Topic: Few questions about external receivers  (Read 3972 times)

los93sol

• Guru
    • View Profile
Few questions about external receivers
« on: September 26, 2008, 03:05:56 pm »
I have some questions for those of you using external receivers as it is apparent the HDCP-20 is vaporware.  I'm now looking at other options using one of the new Hauppauge cards that caps component video.  In my opinion that is reasonable for HD since broadcast HD won't be above 1080i anytime soon and is rarely a 1080i source anyway, usually 720p sources rebroadcast at different resolutions...okay...before this turns into discussion about all that jazz here is what I really want to know.

I understand how the box is controlled by LMCE, but don't you end up with slop all over the screen with the box's GUI and menus then LMCE's GUI laying over the top of that or how is this situation handled?  It's something I've always just assumed could not be dealt with and so have never bothered to ask.  For me it was always a deal breaker so I've decided to look into this further and see if maybe I've just been ignorant to some simple solution to this problem.

freymann

• Douchebag
  • Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Few questions about external receivers
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2008, 03:25:49 pm »
I understand how the box is controlled by LMCE, but don't you end up with slop all over the screen with the box's GUI and menus then LMCE's GUI laying over the top of that or how is this situation handled?  It's something I've always just assumed could not be dealt with and so have never bothered to ask.  For me it was always a deal breaker so I've decided to look into this further and see if maybe I've just been ignorant to some simple solution to this problem.

With my Bell Dish, when I schedule a program to be recorded, during the first few seconds I can see the Bell Program Guide info overlapped over the LMCE Program Info. It's only for 5 seconds or so and after that, any time you press the Info button on your remote you get the LMCE Guide Info displayed.

It doesn't bother me in the least. The only time I ever see the old Bell stuff is when I change channels and it doesn't last long and has never been an issue with me.

los93sol

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2008, 08:28:52 pm »
I am not a fan of controlling devices with IR transmitters and found this document on controlling DirecTV receivers through their USB (really just a masked serial) port.  Does anyone know if the channel banner would be or is normally hidden when controlling these devices over serial?

EDIT:  Just adding a link to a resource with a testing tool for reference http://www.sbcatest.com/Techupdates.htm
« Last Edit: September 29, 2008, 08:34:10 pm by los93sol »

Nigle

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2008, 10:13:31 pm »
I am not a fan of controlling devices with IR transmitters and found this document on controlling DirecTV receivers through their USB (really just a masked serial) port.  Does anyone know if the channel banner would be or is normally hidden when controlling these devices over serial?

EDIT:  Just adding a link to a resource with a testing tool for reference http://www.sbcatest.com/Techupdates.htm

My boss has an automated serial system hooked up to his DirectTV box through the usb.  The channel banner is not hidden.  The same thing happened when I worked in some hotels with Crestron systems talking to the hotels' box.

Although on my cable box at home if I push the "select" button after changing the channel the banner goes away instantly.  Maybe you can have it send that command over ir after each channel change to see if it makes it go away.

itspac

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2008, 03:51:57 pm »
I had comcast and used firewire to transport video. I never saw the cable box's menu at all because I believe the firewire transmitted direct video and none of the menus created by the cable box