Author Topic: Controlling LMCE remotely  (Read 2718 times)

Schmich

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Controlling LMCE remotely
« on: September 25, 2008, 10:07:33 pm »
I will finally start trying to setup LinuxMCE in a month or so at my families' house. One question I got asked is if it was possible to control things by calling the phone (just like people have been able to turn on/off their heating by calling their house for a long time). So is it possible if you have the IP phone set-up?
« Last Edit: September 28, 2008, 11:43:12 am by Schmich »

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
Re: Controlling LMCE remotelz
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2008, 10:30:18 pm »
Basically...

if you have a supported phone (Symbian, windows smartphone).. The orbiter can be loaded onto the phone.

Inside the house, the orbiter acts as a full orbiter, and you have control over every single aspect of house functionality, just like any other orbiter inside the house.

Outside the house, the bluetooth connection is not available, and the Orbiter goes into offline mode. In this mode, the phone has a list of scenarios which you've defined in the web admin under "Mobile Orbiter Scenarios" so you can create a specific set of things you want to be able to do from the phone whilst outside the house. Once you select one of these scenarios, a web connection is made from your phone to your core at the house, and the command is sent. You can also change house modes, view cameras, and speak to the people in the house.

However... and this is why I am _VERY_ adamant on the correct LinuxMCE configuration. THIS IS DEPENDENT ON THE LINUXMCE BOX BEING THE CENTER OF THE NETWORK! The Phone has to be able to send a HTTP request to the core server.

-Thom

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
Re: Controlling LMCE remotelz
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2008, 10:54:56 pm »
[..]THIS IS DEPENDENT ON THE LINUXMCE BOX BEING THE CENTER OF THE NETWORK! The Phone has to be able to send a HTTP request to the core server.

somehow it seems, that Thom really wants to get the point across.

;D

rgds
Oliver