Author Topic: ekiga sip phone functionality?  (Read 2137 times)

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
ekiga sip phone functionality?
« on: September 24, 2008, 05:23:18 am »
I read the wiki and did some forum searching, but I can't find if LinuxMCE supports the video portion of the ekiga SIP phone.  I did find one thing that suggested LinuxMCE can support video on incoming calls, but not outgoing, and no mention of Ekiga or any other specific product.  FWIW, the Ekiga group just released version 3.0.0.  Lots of changes and video improvements according to the site.  If LinuxMCE can handle Ekiga with video I certainly want to try it out.  If not then I'll probably just install Ekiga 3 on my desktop box for now.

Enigmus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: ekiga sip phone functionality?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2008, 03:12:06 pm »
I have done a basic setup with Ekiga and the asterisk included in LinuxMCE.  I dailed the operator and it was able to connect.  However, it was lagged about 2 secs round trip.  VOIP stunt to my phone was under a second one way.  I have also setup Ekiga as a client to LinuxMCE there is a wiki available for this.  LinuxMCE uses asterisk for all voice and video communication over sip.  LinuxMCE provides support for local network Video phone.  Therefore, Ekiga should be able to use video phone support through LinuxMCE.  I have been meaning to test this a bit more but haven't got to it.

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
Re: ekiga sip phone functionality?
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008, 04:28:19 pm »
I've seen what you are talking about, and it would seem the voice part of Ekiga works but I can't find any reference to working video.  If you test this, especially if you upgrade to Ekiga 3, please post the results here. 

I may give it a shot this weekend myself, but my spare time is almost zero and I have a ton of non-lmce things piling up that I need to take care of.  Gotta pick and choose my battles so to speak.