Author Topic: Directory Access  (Read 4971 times)

sdgenxr

• View Profile
Directory Access
« on: September 21, 2008, 03:48:26 am »
How do I get write access to the /home dir and other places?  I'm trying to move around my files so they are visible in my MD.  Currently I have the root located on one partition and the /home on a second larger partition so that I can keep my files in case of a reload or other situation.  A second HD (sdb1) where all my media files are located that does not show up on in the MD.  Any ideas?

Thanks

tkmedia

• wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
    • LMCECompatible
Re: Directory Access
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2008, 05:46:23 am »
They need to be in /home/public/data/audio  ..../video etc

My Setup http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Tkmedia

For LinuxMce compatible  systems and accessories
http://lmcecompatible.com/

sdgenxr

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2008, 06:37:49 pm »
But how do I get write access to that directory?  I've tried to copy items there, but each time I get denied.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2008, 07:13:32 pm »
The easiest way to deal with this, is to connect to the core using another machine, such as a windows machine.

LinuxMCE exposes a windows/samba share available at \\192.168.80.1 (aka \\dcerouter)

Connecting to this, will show shares for each disk it knows about, as well as public, and user_x folders for each family member. Under these folders, you will find Audio, Videos, Documents, Pictures, and Other.. copy your files into there.

-Thom

sdgenxr

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2008, 01:17:22 am »
I still have no access when I type "\\192.168.80.1" or "\\dcerouter" into a windows run dialog.

I have the feeling that there is some setting that I may be missing.  If it matters, I only have one nic but want to install a second if I can figure this out.  Please, I really don't want to go back to windows since Linux is completely new to me and a bit challenging.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 01:23:28 am by sdgenxr »

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2008, 02:14:54 am »
Yes, it does matter - unless you installed LMCE with both NICs as designed, your networking would require some significant work before many of the standard methods would work. Plug in a second NIC and reinstall - this will be dramatically simpler that fighting an uphill battle to get it working with 1 NIC, when all the advice you will receive will assume 2 NICs.

Aside from that, I don't quite follow your initial description of the disks. You are saying that your /home folder is on a different partition, and in addition to this you have a separate HDD for media, which doesn't show up. When you say "so I can keep my files in case of a reload" - I presume you are not referring to your media files that are actually on the other drive?

If so, then your issue seems to be mainly that your media drive isn't showing up. If your system is working correctly the "radar" function will discover HDDs attached locally to your core and prompt you (after installation is complete) whether you want to use this drive. Did it do this? What filesystem/partitions are on the drive? When it has discovered the drive and you have told it to use it, it will then ask you whether you want to use the LMCE folder structure - how did you answer this?

jimbodude

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2008, 06:44:31 pm »
Try these docs:

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/FAQ#How_are_media_files_organized.3F

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/FAQ#Why_does_LinuxMCE_require_that_it_replace_my_router.3F__Why_do_I_need_2_network_cards_in_my_Core.3F

Also, in order to access the shares from a Windows machine, you may need to add that system to the "LinuxMCE" workgroup.  You can search the internet for how to do this.

There are also some issues that will cause Windows to not list any systems in your workgroup except your own - you can look this up in the Microsoft knowledgebase at http://support.microsoft.com

There are some (very poorly designed) firewall software packages that will limit your ability to connect to other machines on your network.  Try disabling any software firewall you have on your Windows machine.

Once you get your files off, wipe the system, and install Linux.  :P

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2008, 01:27:24 am »
Guys - I was a little shocked by the advice in that FAQ regarding replacing routers, etc. It was very misguided. For the purposes of this thread and the wiki I have edited it substantially to avoid confusion. But in short, it is not necessary to replace your router!! It is one approach, but certainly not the least intrusive or simplest.

There is a requirement for 2 NICs, and 2 networks, and LMCE DHCP on the internal network, etc, etc, but none of that has anything to do with the external network setup. We already have some specific requirements for the internal network, we shouldn't be extending this incorrect perception that LMCE requires people to radically change their existing network.

At its simplest, LMCE means no changes at all to the existing home network, simply adding a new device (core) that happens to have a new subnet behind it. Migrating devices that people want to interact with LMCE will come naturally.

jimbodude

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2008, 02:41:47 am »
There is documentation about adding a second network in the FAQ, in the same section.  This discussion probably warrants its own thread.

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2008, 02:45:18 am »
Jimbo - can you point to it for me? I will see if I can tune it a little, to be more consistent...

jimbodude

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2008, 02:24:16 pm »
The section I was referencing was this:
http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php?title=Frequently_Asked_Questions&oldid=15562#Workaround

but it seems you've already re-written the whole thing.

Further discussion on this definitely deserves a new thread, as the debate about LMCE network setup always seems to end in a heated argument.

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2008, 02:51:10 pm »
Absolutely, please start a thread with any specific points you'd like to debate - I'm happy to participate.

I agree that this has been a heated discussion in the past - but over the 18months I have been following it, one thing always stood out to me. Those that were violently opposed to the "requirements" imposed by LMCE on network infrastructure almost universally misunderstood the actual requirements. By which I mean that they read them as being far more wide ranging than they actually are.

Similarly, those that actually understood the requirements, almost invariably did not explain them well enough to disavow the misconceptions above. It was very frustrating at times, and I tried to make clarifying points occasionally, but the discussions were commonly already too heated for them to penetrate!

The simple fact is, you can add a fully featured LMCE network, dual NIC'd, etc to an existing home subnet without changing a damn thing about that home network! Its true, that if you want to make more use of the existing equipment in your home network, it generally needs to be moved into the "internal" network, but that doesn't invalidate my point. That movement is merely enhancing your already valid LMCE environment, and by the time you make that move, most people will have already realised that the impact it has on the existing environment is trivial at best, and I imagine that most quickly decommission their "external" subnet in favour of a simple link to their modem/router once they realise this.

This isn't to say that there is no impact or inconvenience at all. I myself had an ADSL modem/router/AP and wanted to use the AP for my house, but it proved impossible to use that particular AP and still have it within the "internal" network as it was, by definition, on the external network. For a long time I just lived with that and a few firewall rules on the core. Eventually, I bought a cheap AP for the internal network and turned off the AP on the ADSL router.

jimbodude

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2008, 12:51:08 am »
you're preaching to the choir here buddy.