Author Topic: Has anyone looked at Songbird the Open Source iTunes project  (Read 3761 times)

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Has anyone looked at Songbird the Open Source iTunes project
« on: February 10, 2006, 05:28:34 pm »
http://www.songbirdnest.com/

Its a very early release with only the player capabilities at present. But if they pull off what they are attempting too it would be a great capability to add to Pluto. Its built on top of a number of Firefox technologies as well.

We think that adding support for iPods to Pluto would be great... its just how to do it! Songbird may offer a solution.

What do people think? Any comments/views?

Andrew

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Re: Has anyone looked at Songbird the Open Source iTunes pro
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2006, 06:08:38 pm »
Quote from: "totallymaxed"
http://www.songbirdnest.com/

Its a very early release with only the player capabilities at present. But if they pull off what they are attempting too it would be a great capability to add to Pluto. Its built on top of a number of Firefox technologies as well.

We think that adding support for iPods to Pluto would be great... its just how to do it! Songbird may offer a solution.

What do people think? Any comments/views?

Andrew

Hi,

it looks like great project... Currently I have another idea that is maybe even easier to do, but won't allow a lot of options. Misterhouse has rss client, that can download files for podcast and save it to certain directories...

Our national TV recently announced podcasts for some popular shows and I'll add it very soon to my MH and watch or hear it from Pluto media players....

not as great as project you mention, but fairly easy to implement...

In my situation, I have MH as great (easy to develope/implement backend) and Pluto is GUI for all nice stuff to look at...

HTH,

regards,

Rob.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2006, 09:15:30 am »
for few months, we stopped adding new features in Pluto, we already have a list with todo's that needs to be implemented, and maybe more important, we have some fixes to make.
the project looks cool, i download it, i saw that it even supports slimdevices.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2006, 11:37:28 am »
Quote from: "dan.g"
for few months, we stopped adding new features in Pluto, we already have a list with todo's that needs to be implemented, and maybe more important, we have some fixes to make.

Hi,

is todo list public? It would be nice if users knew what to expect and testers on what to focus...

Regards,

Rob.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2006, 11:46:18 am »
Quote from: "dan.g"

Understood about the wish to stop adding new features. However Songbird looks like it would provide a lot of features we are looking for.

Yes slimdevices are supported... and very importantly they are working on supporting iTunes/iPod. Finding a way to support iPod's is very high on our list of priorities.

By the way did you notice that VLC is used extensively in Songbird Dan?

Andrew

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2006, 12:14:56 pm »
Quote from: "tinia"
is todo list public? It would be nice if users knew what to expect and testers on what to focus...

Yes, everything is on the Mantis interface. We've created 2 new virtual users, "features" and "wishlist" and everything new goes there - for a few months that is. Consider this a feature freeze, because we want to make the whole system rock-solid - therefore usable,

http://www.plutohome.com/support/mantis/

As for the Songbird interface, consider that not all the users have the possibility to point-and-click or drag-and-drop. It's a good project though, and we will consider it.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2006, 01:26:21 pm »
Quote from: "bogdan.a"

Yes, everything is on the Mantis interface. We've created 2 new virtual users, "features" and "wishlist" and everything new goes there - for a few months that is. Consider this a feature freeze, because we want to make the whole system rock-solid - therefore usable,

http://www.plutohome.com/support/mantis/

As for the Songbird interface, consider that not all the users have the possibility to point-and-click or drag-and-drop. It's a good project though, and we will consider it.

Hi,

pardon me - still don't get it; will features be included in stable or not (I guess wishes will not) ?

Also, are there any functionalities that will enter into stable (I hardly imagine stable release without for instance photo albums viewing application ) ?

Thanks in advance,

regards,

Rob.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2006, 02:30:54 pm »
Quote from: "bogdan.a"

The Songbird UI is completely skinnable and so i don't see the issue of handling users/devices where P&C and/or D&D are not available as impossible to solve.

Andrew

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2006, 04:52:09 pm »
will features be included in stable or not (I guess wishes will not) ?

Some features will be included in the first stable version, some will not. However, most if not all features will make it to a stable version someday.

In wishlist, there are issues we would like, not knowing if we'll ever be able to implement them, if they are feasible, etc. Some of the items in wishlist will make it to "features", fewer will directly be assigned to someone, but there are some which will not make it to Pluto.

Also, are there any functionalities that will enter into stable (I hardly imagine stable release without for instance photo albums viewing application ) ?

This is another issue. We don't (yet) have a list of features that will make it to the first stable version, but we're mostly bugfixing now. When we have a stable release, the whole project will receive more attention from the open-source community, so we'll be able to add more features faster.