Author Topic: Run Bittorrent Client alongside Linux MCE  (Read 4550 times)

shepppard

• First post!
    • View Profile
Run Bittorrent Client alongside Linux MCE
« on: September 20, 2008, 12:01:21 am »
Hey Guys,

Looking at getting this installed on my server. Only issues is that I use Bittorrent a lot and need to know if you can run a client alongside of using Linux MCE. So I want to be downloading my TV shows as I watched other content on my server.

Is this possible?

Thanks

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
Re: Run Bittorrent Client alongside Linux MCE
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2008, 12:40:14 am »
Ktorrent is installed by default on linuxmce, although other torrent clients can be installed via apt. Please be careful not to overwrite existing packages.

In addition, I would like to pose a challenge for someone to integrate bit-torrent RSS downloads into the media subsystem directly as an orbiter UI.

-Thom

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2008, 06:05:00 am »
You can also easily set up a BT client to run thru the core from a PC on your internal network if you wanted.
(Thom - that would be a great feature!)

deffcon

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2008, 11:23:51 am »
Hi,

Torrentflux = webbased works great but no advanced features
Torrentflux-b4rt = webbased and based on above but much more advanced

Dave

sp00nhead

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2008, 12:00:54 pm »
I'm currently looking at wtorrenthttp://www.wtorrent-project.org/trac/ for this, torrentflux is ok, but interface isn't that nice.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2008, 04:45:10 pm »
why don't some of you try to write a method that actually integrates smoothly into LinuxMCE? Do I have to be the one who writes it?

-Thom

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2008, 01:49:13 am »
why don't some of you try to write a method that actually integrates smoothly into LinuxMCE? Do I have to be the one who writes it?

-Thom

Well for 1, Thom, there isn't currently any published process for setting up a development environment that will successfully compile, at least until the merge is complete (although Jon Decker is helping me understand how you guys workaround this, so hopefully I will have that straight in my mind soon!)

2. Even if I had such an environment set up, I haven't ever coded anything in C, C++, Ruby, or any other "modern" language, nor anything significant in any other language for nearly 20 years bar a bit of VB Scripting (but I'm in the process of teaching myself C++, so that I can at least start some bug fixing on all the outstanding Mantis tickets)

3. I have never coded anything at all for Linux - just crossing my fingers that the platform aspect is trivial :)

4. I am still hoping that someone "in the know" might explain how the basic architecture of LMCE works. I understand the messaging system around the DCE router, what I really would like is more detail on exactly what function each device/plugin plays in the various common tasks, and what messages they send to each other to allow these tasks to happen. Would you be prepared to take this offline with me, Thom? I would be very happy to turn that information into a wiki page, as I think this is really important reference information that would help any aspiring new dev get off the ground with LMCE.

5. Even once I get past all these blocks, and want to start doing new functionality, I think I would prefer to focus on tasks that can't easily be worked around. The torrent feature would be nice if it was integrated, but not really high priority as there are plenty of good workarounds like above. Things like an enqueuing functionality for "now playing" playlists would be high on my list :)

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2008, 12:01:33 am »
come to the chat, and I can help explain it.

-Thom

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2008, 12:55:25 am »
Thanks Thom, will do so as soon as I can - the chat client seems to dislike Vista (its not the only one!) and is blocked by the firewall at work, which is why I'm so rarely on chat! Will try to get on there in the next couple of hours, hopefully you're not asleep by then :)