Author Topic: Audio and Video Problems  (Read 9465 times)

kyfalcon

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Audio and Video Problems
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2008, 12:10:13 am »
need more info, what is the video output going to.  What did you set up for video resolution(DVI,VGA etc etc, res and hrtz.)?  What is the native resolution on your tv or monitor (setting that it is made for).  how did you update the nvidia driver?  what nvidia driver did you use? If your playing dvd is it a ide or sata drive? MORE INFO!   ;)

Here is the info.

GEForce 8500GT downloaded and installed the nvidia driver from nvidia.
Hooked to my Toshiba Plasma 42 inch via DVI running 1280 x 720 60 hz (exactly what toshiba requests) dvd is ide. Now as I have said as long as I go to KDE desktop and start xine there and then go back to orbiter everything works fine. But as soon as I stop xine that is running in the kde desktop the video in LinuxMCE goes away. Sound works fine now just have this video hang up. I can also play the DVD using kaffiene and everything works great.

Thanks

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2008, 12:16:17 am »
Have you tried running UI1 too just make sure that things are working as they should, Also I see you are using the c-media chipset if you were too open k-mixer and on the tool bar choose preference you would see some mixer options for IEC958 I believe there are about 3-4 but only one says Output. I run a 7.1 x-plosion and it works perfect but you have to do this.

You should not have to play around with the Xine setting in LMCE to get things to work and I am not sure if you are aware but changing xine settings in KDE does not affect XINE player in LMCE that I am aware of.

How and which Nvidia driver did you install and which card speciafically are you using? What is native res for your lcd?

Dave

Audio is working after I changed the audio device to alsa instead of auto in the /usr/pluto/xine.config file.

ColinJones, I understand what you are saying but that doesn't explain the fact that the only way I get either a slideshow or video from my DVD is to have Xine running from my KDE then go back to the orbiter. That tells me that the settings automatically set by linuxmce are incorrect.

I am using pny GEForce 8500GT with the latest drivers from nvidia

Thanks

The slide show is run by PhotoScreenSaver, not xine anyway - so you have a strange effect, but I don't think that is indicative that Xine Player is being used within LMCE. The same libraries are being using for player audio/video in LMCE as for playing Xine Player in KDE, but I have no idea why that is happening.

Try checking the dcerouter log and the device logs for xine_wrapper and pss, you should see the LMCE messages/commands being sent back and forth to trigger these functions and what, if any, errors the devices themselves are generating when it isn't working. Compare one with the other..

/var/log/pluto  under there prefixed with the device numbers (except dcerouter.log)... gut says you may have a video/x/gl driver issue somewhere... also, have you reviewed the Xorg log for video issues starting X /var/log/Xorg.0.log

kyfalcon

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2008, 04:25:44 am »
I will take a look at that thanks!

wsuetholz

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2008, 02:56:51 pm »
So if you go into Kmixer in KDE and you look at what you have availble for settings is IEC958 listed anywhere like under a switch tab - because it should be.

Did you installed the 173.14.12 drivers using the method described in the wiki and if you did then can you goto

webadmin - devices - MD - scroll down to the MD you are working on and tell us what is says you are using for a Video Card and as well the sound card.

All this sounds to me like you are not getting open GL support at all. Are you able to get flickr with a UI2 with overlay not transparent.

rgds,

Dave

Sorry, but where in the WIKI can I install 173.14.12 drivers, and drivers for what?  Is that the video drivers? or Audio drivers?

thanks

Crumble

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2008, 06:31:11 pm »
need more info, what is the video output going to.  What did you set up for video resolution(DVI,VGA etc etc, res and hrtz.)?  What is the native resolution on your tv or monitor (setting that it is made for).  how did you update the nvidia driver?  what nvidia driver did you use? If your playing dvd is it a ide or sata drive? MORE INFO!   ;)

Here is the info.

GEForce 8500GT downloaded and installed the nvidia driver from nvidia.
Hooked to my Toshiba Plasma 42 inch via DVI running 1280 x 720 60 hz (exactly what toshiba requests) dvd is ide. Now as I have said as long as I go to KDE desktop and start xine there and then go back to orbiter everything works fine. But as soon as I stop xine that is running in the kde desktop the video in LinuxMCE goes away. Sound works fine now just have this video hang up. I can also play the DVD using kaffiene and everything works great.

Thanks

Sounds to me like you installed the driver in a funky way.  I've noticed that if you telinit1 you can run into all sorts of problems.  I use CTRL+ALT+BKSPACE to kill x.  Also ive noticed oddities if you install the driver without doing CTRL+ALT+F2 or whichever function key just not f7.  I haven't had problems playing dvd's in linuxmce yet but it gave me different errors when playing dvd's if i didn't do the above mentioned.  Also if your using AMD64 version that could be the problem as well, for whatever reason that version doesn't like that card very much.  And make sure you let the nvidia driver make an xorg.conf file as well, if you haven't already.

At wsuetholz:  The driver your asking about is for nvidia graphics cards, here is a link with instructions on how to install, make sure you download the right drivers for your card.   http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/XFX_8500GT512