Author Topic: Different media on different Media Directors?  (Read 3242 times)

racethewind

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
Different media on different Media Directors?
« on: September 16, 2008, 08:49:24 pm »
Hi all

I am new and have not installed LinuxMCE yet. I have a quick question that may sound dumb but here it is.

Is it possible to run different media on different Media Directors at the same time based on user or Media Director (computer) name?

Example:

Lets say I have the family over for a movie night. My house as two theaters and the adults want to watch a action movie off the core system on the main floor.
Is it possible to play a cartoon movie for the kids on the basement Media Director at the same time?

Thanks

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
Re: Different media on different Media Directors?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2008, 08:51:44 pm »
Yes. And you will be able to deal with both streams and re-route them as needed on the floorplan.

-Thom

racethewind

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2008, 08:55:42 pm »
Yes GREAT!!!

This makes life really exciting.

Thanks Thom!! 

Charles

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2008, 12:34:22 am »
To be more specific, you can have as many media streams running (audio, video, Thom's Mame games, internet radio, etc) simultaneously as you have media directors. That's kind of the point of LMCE. And as Thom says, you can "move" a stream in real-time from one media director to another, or even "duplicate" a stream so that 2 or more media directors can be playing the same stream at the same time, in sync.

Also, the concept of the Orbiter is that it is a control interface either overlayed on top of your media "on screen" or on another device (PC, mobile phone, PDA, etc) that can control any media director in any entertainment area, and instruct any media director to pull media from any other location.

So, for instance, you can pop a DVD in the drive of one media director in your lounge room, go to the Orbiter menus on your bedroom (2nd) media director, and instruct the (3rd) media director in your family room to start playing the DVD in the drive in your lounge room! Then actually go into your lounge room and use that media director's Orbiter menus to "pull" that stream from your family room back into your lounge room - either by duplicating it, so it continues to play in the family room, or simply moving it so that the family room stops playing media, and after a short time, shuts down your entertainment equipment and turns off your TV :)

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2008, 02:11:06 am »
Just to add my 2 cents, there is also the concept of private media based on the user.  As I understand it, the intent is to be able to switch to a different user, enter a pin, and have access to all that users private data until you switch users..  Unfortunately it doesn't appear to be working quite correct yet, but based on other threads it's a known issue.  The way it works for me, I can change users without a pin all I want, but to get access to that users private media I have to select that user in the video browser screen (whatever it's really called) and enter the pin every time you go into that area.  It's a bit tedious, but it does allow you to separate movies.  In your example you can have all the kid safe movies public so you know whatever they put on will be ok, and by entering a pin the adults can have access to the R rated movies or whatever.