Author Topic: Some questions from a Pluto newbie  (Read 3321 times)

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Some questions from a Pluto newbie
« on: February 28, 2006, 09:05:19 pm »
Hi,
I've just come across Plutohome and am trying it out on an old server to find out what it can do.

I've run into a couple of issues and have a couple of questions if I may.

BTW, whilst I'm new to Pluto, I'm a long time Linux user and am also pretty experienced with Asterisk.

Firstly, how important is it for the Core server to also be the dhcp server for the network? I already run a relatively sophisticated dhcpd and DNS setup on my server which would be difficult to replicate onto the core server.

As I'm only running this as a trial, I would be happy to forego any "plug and play" functionality if all it means is statically configuring IP/Mac addresses.

Can I do this or is there something fundamental which will break unless I use the Pluto core server for dhcp?

Secondly, I installed the "Orbiter Win installer" from the core and installed it on my XP laptop. It starts in some sort of logging screen, but doesn't get any further, complaining "Failed to connect to DCERouter". There are input boxes for Router IP and device ID, but these appear to be corrupted and I cannot fill them in. I was wondering if there was some dhcp issue as I'm not using the core for this. I have configured an Orbiter device in the admin screens using it's IP address and MAC. The Orbiter build reports as 2.0.0.37.06021822.
I note that (with ethereal) the laptop seems to be issuing Netbios name queries for "DCEROUTER". Do I need to have WINS setup for this? What am I doing wrong?

Thirdly, I see reference to Asterisk AMP in this forum and in the docs, but no information on how to access it. In fact my installation reports this in the Packages config as "** DISABLED ** Asterisk Management Portal" implying it's not working. Am I missing something fundamental?

Any advice and answers gratefully received.

regards,

Keith

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2006, 09:28:28 pm »
Some additional info which might be very relevent when considering my problem getting the orbiter running.

It is installed on a Windows XP laptop which is normally logged into a domain and it's configured for this. I can't change this unfortunately. If this is the causeand it can't be worked around, this isn't a problem for me as long as I know about it.

I ran nmblookup a few times from another machine:

Code: [Select]
$ nmblookup DCEROUTER
querying DCEROUTER on 10.10.10.255
name_query failed to find name DCEROUTER

$ nmblookup -A <ip_of_dcerouter> -W PLUTO
Looking up status of <ip_of_dcerouter>
        LEVIATHAN       <00> -         B <ACTIVE>
        LEVIATHAN       <03> -         B <ACTIVE>
        LEVIATHAN       <20> -         B <ACTIVE>
        ..__MSBROWSE__. <01> - <GROUP> B <ACTIVE>
        PLUTO           <00> - <GROUP> B <ACTIVE>
        PLUTO           <1d> -         B <ACTIVE>
        PLUTO           <1e> - <GROUP> B <ACTIVE>

MAC Address = 00-00-00-00-00-00

BTW "Leviathan" is the hostname of the box that plutohome is running on.

Cheers,

Keith

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2006, 09:50:18 pm »
OK, Orbiter issue solved. I created an LMHOSTS file on my laptop with the IP address for DCEROUTER.

Onwards and upwards.

Answers to the other Questions still appreciated though :)

Cheers,

Keith

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2006, 12:19:45 pm »
OK, found AMP,

Advanced->Phones Setup

Cheers,

Keith