Author Topic: Core Crashes  (Read 3226 times)

fearingsept

• Guru
    • View Profile
Core Crashes
« on: September 16, 2008, 03:35:47 pm »
As of late I have had some issues with my Hybrid core. It was locking up quite a bit then I reinstalled and it worked fine for about a month and a half then I came home last Friday to find that X would not load and I was getting errors in the start up process that stated that my system could not write to my swap partitions. I suspect that my hard drive failed and I replaced it and reinstalled. But now I have been getting random lockups daily like I used to before I removed a problematic MD. Just wondering in general how many people have constant problems with their core or hybrid/core.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 03:38:34 pm by fearingsept »
Core: Broken :(

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
Re: Core Crashes
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2008, 04:16:55 pm »
can we please not use generic terms like "lockup", "hang" and "crash"?

If somebody has a real kernel panic/oops/bug, I'd love to see a core dump.
I'm still waiting to see an unstable core without bad hardware/assembly.

best regards,
Hari
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation

fearingsept

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2008, 05:23:43 pm »
I would be more then happy to send you my core dump if I run into anymore problems. What is the file location?

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2008, 12:40:41 am »
you have to use kdump.

best regards,
Hari

ps: the kexec-tools package may be your friend

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2008, 12:42:06 am »
Hari - I'd be happy to send mine too. It only happens occasionally, but doesn't seem to have any pattern behind when. Probably once every 2 weeks? And it does hard lock, can't do anything, and it stops routing traffic from the internal to external networks - LEDs on the keyboard flashing.... It happened only 2 days ago, so let me know which files you want and I will send them over...

Col

EDIT - just saw your reply, looking into it right now!

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2008, 12:57:00 am »
hmmm.. installed, kdump doesn't have a proper man page, and each time I try to execute it, it just says it can't find the start of the coredump. I can see lots of process specific files in both /usr/pluto/coredump and /home/coredump/1 should I be pointing it to those?

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2008, 01:04:18 am »
hmmm.. installed, kdump doesn't have a proper man page, and each time I try to execute it, it just says it can't find the start of the coredump. I can see lots of process specific files in both /usr/pluto/coredump and /home/coredump/1 should I be pointing it to those?
you are messing kernel dumps with process dumps. Maybe some background reading would be helpful.

br hari

fearingsept

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2008, 02:44:17 am »
you are messing kernel dumps with process dumps. Maybe some background reading would be helpful.

Perhaps I'm dumb.... Which is likely.. But could you be maybe a little more clear as to what you mean by reading? It might help if you send us in the right direction, maybe give us a few pointers? Not all of us are experts when it comes to Linux. As I have had a great deal of experience being a user of ubuntu I have very little troubleshooting experience and I am afraid I really only know enough to be dangerous.