Author Topic: No sound after .38 upgrade - Solved  (Read 2639 times)

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
No sound after .38 upgrade - Solved
« on: February 24, 2006, 12:39:38 pm »
Hi there

during the last days I finished to update my system to new release and new kernel, and after this I get no sound out of my hybrid.

I already made a test booting off a Knoppix live cd, and in that situation audio is fine so it is definitely not an hardware problem.

The nasty thing is that if I switch back to older kernel (2.6.13.2) I get no sound either, so it is not likely to be related to some faulty kernel modules

Last time Pluto switched kernel I had a similar problem, but it turned out that for some mysterious reason audio devices were not created anymore under /dev

This time audio devices seem to be there.

It sounds like new version of xine is making my life so miserable, but of course I may be wrong.

Has anyone experienced this behaviour, and (most important) has anyone some hint to let me get rid of this issue?

TIA
Marco

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2006, 10:22:45 am »
Just to help some other rookie like me that happen to have the same issue ...

The problem with my hybrid missing sound was due to the fact that during kernel update the symlink to start alsa service in /etc/rc2.d has been deleted.
So alsa was not loading and sound was obviously not coming out.

I did not delete the link, so I guess that something happened during the dist upgrade process.

As usually happens to not-so-experienced-linux-user it took me a while to figure out... :oops:

It may be interesting to understand how this happened just to prevent to happen again, so if anyone has any idea on it please post it here.

TIA
Marco

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2006, 11:37:14 am »
It was a bug in the alsa package that created the link in rcS.d instead of creating it in rc2.d but that is allready fixed now.