Author Topic: MCE 0810 / Blu Ray  (Read 15093 times)

Amathus

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Re: MCE 0810 / Blu Ray
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2008, 05:10:26 am »
Wrong again. This system is a smart home platform. Media only comprises 20% of the entire system. With that said, We can only do what we can do from within the context of the legal system. If someone outside the USA wants to implement enhanced BD functionality, then they can. Nothing stopping them. But those of us in the US can neither develop nor legally use such implements.

-Thom

Well, you are partially right. Of all new homes built in Australia (145,000 per annum) only 1.9% have any smart home enhancments at all - a pitiful penetration.  Stateside may be higher - dunno. Putting it this way the Media takes the stage. People want to be entertained first, then they worry about lighting control & security cams. Enhancing BD fucntionality outside of the USA I believe is also illegal as the Intel / MSTF machine reigns with a big stick and soft voice everywhere - but you may be right, someone,  somewhere in China, Moscow, Taiwan or Timbucktoo will up the anti. We can only pray.

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
Re: MCE 0810 / Blu Ray
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2008, 10:08:47 am »
This seems to be a hot topic. I agree with colin jones. This is not an issue of playing back 1080p HD content (I am doing that now - recorded HD content from a FTA digital TV station plays back nicley - but am experiencing 100% CPU usage which is a worry on a Quad Core AMD 2.2Ghz Phenom / 2GB 1066 RAM). It is a matter of playing back 1080p HD content from a HDCP complint blu ray disc. Whilst I appreciate  what Indulis is saying and it sounds logical re DVI or VGA,  I do not believe this will achieve 1080p playback from an encrypted HDCP compliant blu ray disc. Prove me wrong please!

CAN WE PLEASE STOP MIXING AACS AND HDCP?!?

AACS == MPAA crap, used to encrypt stuff on the disc
HDCP == Intel crap, used to encrypt stuff on TDMS (DVI or HDMI)

And if you buy this crap and even say thats important for LMCE, it is just you who supports the restrictive crap with your money.

br hari
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation