Author Topic: IR receivers  (Read 2214 times)

Martinus

• View Profile
IR receivers
« on: September 09, 2008, 08:55:45 pm »
Hi out there,

as I read through the posts and the FAQ and the Iiki I feel this questions can be omitted but I want to be sure.

My intentions : I want to use LMCE merely as a media center, I don't feel the need (not now) to have my TV or hi fi equipment controlled by LMCE.
But I want to control LMCE be remote control.

So far I read mainly the usb uirt is supported.

Here my question:

1. How about a simple IR dongle which I use to connect my mobile phone to my laptop?
edisonsoft ES-620 ir adapter

2. How about the ir device shipped with hauppauge nova s plus (more correctly: used with the tv card)

3. is USB bluetooth device usable in the same way as ir remotes?

thanks for any response

Martin

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
Re: IR receivers
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2008, 06:42:17 am »
If all you want is a media center, you're probably better off going with MythTV, either added to a linux distro or by installing a MythTV specific distro such as Mythbuntu.

As for how to control LinuxMCE via remote, in general if the device works via lirc it should be able to be made to work with LinuxMCE.  It's also possible to use lots of other things as a remote such as various air mice, nokia tablets, blutooth adapters + cell phone, RF gyro remotes, etc.  The real question is what is plug and play and what is not.  The Fiire Chief remote is plug and play, as is USBUIRT + a MS MCE remote, and I believe the Gyration Go Mouse.  Other variations will likely work out of the box, but you have to add them manually (not plug and play, but the config is there).  At the other end are devices that can be made to work, but take a bit of hacking such as USBUIRT (plug and play receiver/transmitter) or a LIRC receiver + unsupported remotes.  If at all possible, stick with a plug and play device.  Be prepared for people to tell you if you are using LinuxMCE and USBUIRT there is no reason not to have LinuxMCE control your TV/hi fi.

I don't really know much about bluetooth support or if anything other than certain phones are supported.  You'll likely have to search here or lirc sites to see if your specific hardware will work.

You'll probably need to search here, or more likely the lirc sites, to see if your specific hardware is supported.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
Re: IR receivers
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2008, 08:21:40 pm »
Honestly,

you'll save yourself a lot of headache, if you get one of these four devices, and use it as your IR transciever:

* USB UIRT
* GC-100 and a GC-IRL for learning
* IRTrans USB
* Tira

All four devices are natively supported by LinuxMCE (there are native DCE drivers for them) and do not fall prey to LIRC's flaws, as for all of these devices, all IR processing is done on the transciever itself, and thus is no need for a kernel module that might wreak havoc.

Get a Xantech 286 Double IR emitter, and attach to the back of these devices, and affix them to your A/V devices.

-Thom