Author Topic: Anyone else have volume control issues?  (Read 6961 times)

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
Anyone else have volume control issues?
« on: September 09, 2008, 11:12:27 pm »
When I use a remote with LinuxMCE the volume control doesn't really work.  If I hit the vol up button, for example, really fast the vol will go up a bit every once in a while.  The lights on the usbuirt remote sending unit flash so I know it's sending something, but it's really quite worthless.  However, when I use the on-screen volume control (function key then mouse) it works fine, and the testing works fine.  This is with 3 different kinds of remotes and 2 media centers/tvs (different brands). 

I'm really not sure what is going on, but vol control is one of the last few quirks I need to work out before I can toss the TV/Cable box remotes in a drawer. 

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone else have volume control issues?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2008, 12:22:57 am »
Perhaps review your /var/log/pluto/dcerouter.log for the messages that are being sent when you do it each of those 2 ways. See if there is a material difference between them... maybe the IR commands don't have enough delay between them when you do it the way that doesn't work well?

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2008, 02:52:06 am »
As far as I can tell, there are no real differences beyond the way they receive the message to adjust volume.

via remote:
Code: [Select]
08      09/09/08 17:35:23.797           Received Message from 65 (USB UIRT 0038 / Bedroom (Master)) to 10 (Media Plug-in / Living Room/Family Room), type 1 id 89 Command:Vol Up, retry none, parameters: <0x617dfb90>                                                                                                           
08      09/09/08 17:35:23.798           Received Message from 65 (USB UIRT 0038 / Bedroom (Master)) to 50 (Generic PC as MD / Bedroom (Master)), type 1 id 89 Command:Vol Up, retry none, parameters: <0xa95fdb90>                                                                                                               
08      09/09/08 17:35:23.798             Parameter 41(StreamID): 1007 <0xa95fdb90>                                                                             
08      09/09/08 17:35:23.798           Forwarding 89 Command:Vol Up up pipe to 69 (vx32l) <0xb6cc2b90>                                                         

via on screen remote:
Code: [Select]
08      09/09/08 17:37:00.315           Received Message from 52 (OnScreen Orbiter / Bedroom (Master)) to 10 (Media Plug-in / Living Room/Family Room), type 1 id 89 Command:Vol Up, retry none, parameters: <0x70ffeb90>                                                                                                         
08      09/09/08 17:37:00.315             Parameter 72(Repeat Command): 1 <0x70ffeb90>                                                                           
08      09/09/08 17:37:00.316           Received Message from 52 (OnScreen Orbiter / Bedroom (Master)) to 50 (Generic PC as MD / Bedroom (Master)), type 1 id 89 Command:Vol Up, retry none, parameters: <0xa95fdb90>                                                                                                             
08      09/09/08 17:37:00.316             Parameter 41(StreamID): 1007 <0xa95fdb90>                                                                             
08      09/09/08 17:37:00.316             Parameter 72(Repeat Command): 1 <0xa95fdb90>                                                                           
08      09/09/08 17:37:00.316           Forwarding 89 Command:Vol Up up pipe to 69 (vx32l) <0xb6cc2b90>                                                         

The only difference I see is with the on screen orbiter there are entries for Parameter 72(Repeat Command): 1 in addition to the Parameter 41(StreamID):1007.  However, the Forwarding 89 command appears the same, not that there is much detail.

I suppose it's possible that the IR from the remote is interfering with the USBUIRT sending...  I can test that easily enough.

<virtual BRB>

Yup, that's it, held the remote to the USBUIRT and blocking the view to the TV and it works fine.  Both of my TVs apparently can't deal with both the remote and USBUIRT sending at the same time.

Gonna have to ponder which way to go.  Ideas?

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2008, 03:53:43 am »
That makes sense ... a delay perhaps? Don't know how to do that tho..

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2008, 05:55:06 am »
If the remote sends out a fairly constant stream while the vol up/down buttons are pressed, a delay isn't going to work.  If it's possible to somehow get the USBUIRT to send it's commands between the remotes pulses (the receiver light flickers) then maybe. 

I'm just surprised nobody else seems to have run into this as it's both TVs and a few different remotes.

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2008, 03:43:32 pm »
Shields on the remote transmitters you mean?  And are you saying just on the buds, or enough to keep the TV or whatever from receiving any non USBUIRT signal?  I still need to control the TVs from outside of lmce.  For now, the bedroom MD is an old loud laptop that overheats and shuts down if I leave it on, so I turn it on only when I want to watch LMCE media.  The rest of the time the TV is used, it's just TV and set top box.  The other TV could go full linuxMCE control, but it has 5 non-discrete inputs and if it gets out of sync I'd like to be able to grab the TV remote and fix it.

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2008, 07:56:46 pm »
Here's an interesting thing.  I put tape over the bud (is this what they are called???).  I can still control the TV as the IR receiver on the TV isn't completely blocked, and now the volume control is worlds better.  Still not perfect, but I think it will be good enough to use.

Thanks for the tip!!!!!!!

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2008, 05:47:13 am »
Little more playing and trying to use LMCE exclusively...  Still needs some work, but MAYBE they will be fine.  At least I'm on the right track and have a good idea why it wasn't working before.

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2008, 05:18:07 pm »
Uhh, I only follow about half of what you said.   :-[

Never heard of Jon Decker's fix, is it for lirc or USBUIRT?  I'm using the USBUIRT plug and play driver, not lirc.  As far as I can tell, neither TV has a usable input other than IR.  No serial, mini plug for IR, USB, etc.  The Visio (vx32l) does have a serial service port (rj45), but in all my googling I haven't found one reference to anyone being able to use it.

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2008, 06:20:32 pm »
Ah, ok.  I never applied any fix for this that I know of, but perhaps it's already in 710?  I think this is the screen and option you are referring to:

Edit IR codes
WARNING: the changes will afect all devices created from device template 43FDX01B.
Device Template 43FDX01B, category TVs/Plasmas/LCD's/Projectors and manufacturer Hitachi.   
Delays: Power: 7000 miliseconds, Mode: 2000 miliseconds, Other: 0.25 miliseconds [change/explain]   
Tuning: Fixed Digits: 2 [] terminate with enter [change/explain]   
Power: Toggle [change/explain]   
Inputs Toggle: Tuner, Tuner 2, Video 1, Video 2, Video 3 [change/explain]   
DSP Modes Discrete: [change/explain]
<snip>

Or is there something else that a fix would add?

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2008, 06:57:59 pm »
ah, that is different and looks promising.  I'll do some searching to see if I can find this patch.

BTW, thanks for all your help.  LinuxMCE can be daunting as well as frustrating at times, sometimes even a gentle push towards a solution can be a huge boost.