Author Topic: Stability survey  (Read 4994 times)

Monkgs

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Stability survey
« on: September 09, 2008, 09:17:46 am »
Discuss.

wombiroller

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Stability survey
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 09:59:26 am »
mostly stable for me. I dont think it has ever actually crashed but once in a while I may need to reboot to get something to work properly (stuff like web browsing via applications or stopping the gyro from drifting)...

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 11:35:54 am »
AMD64 710RC2 (DVD) seemed less stable. Have been on i386 for some time now. It does crash (hard lock) occasionally, but not often. There are numerous functional issues (some are straight bugs), but the main issue stability-wise is that over time xine consumes more and more CPU and memory, and starts getting jerky until I have to reload the router....

jondecker76

• Alumni
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 12:30:33 pm »
I would say mostly stable.
I also have the problem that video playback slows down and gets jerky over time. Because of this, I do a reload of the router at least once a day.
Most other problems I've ever encountered were hardware/driver issues.
I normally go about a month at a time between reboots.

JimmyGosling

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2008, 04:48:03 pm »
Working my way through some issues again this week.  All videos disappeared after moving a couple around on the file system.  Before that it was movies showing up in my music catalog.  Had to reset for both, but this last time it hung up on some script. 
With what I read in the forums I went for a reinstall boot off the DVD (i386) which never made it through. 
End result: I'm dead in the water for the time being. 
When she works, she works great.  When she doesn't, it seems like trouble for days.

So I'm going to cast a vote for flaky.  But don't get me wrong.  I still love the system and I expect these kinds of hang ups.  Its the price you pay for a system like this that is both open source and incredibly featured.

grepico

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2008, 06:58:07 pm »
I have a 710 installation at work and a 704 installation at home.  Can't really speak to the home one as I use it to tinker so I break it about twice a week.  The installation at work is used to demo a home theater system that includes LMCE for DVD/Music only (no lighting, alarm, surveillance, etc.) and it runs rock solid.  I can't remember the last time I had to reload or reboot the system.  But again, it's only being used to rip/play movies and music so there isn't much going on with it.

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2008, 07:44:50 pm »
I hesitate to ever call anything bulletproof, but I've been running 710 i386 (on an AMD64 dual core proc) and it has never crashed, locked up, or needed to be rebooted for anything other than when I was changing settings or adding hardware.  The lone exception is the issue where Xine_Player needs cycled (quick reload router) from time to time when media playback gets a bit jittery.

I have plenty of functionality/usability issues, but not stability problems.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2008, 09:40:17 pm »
There IS a known leak in Xine_Player, at least one....maybe lots more... I am guessing that the Stream Factory does not free streams once they are finished, and keeps them active.

-Thom

JimmyGosling

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2008, 10:54:59 pm »
It's true that a great deal of the "stability" issues are not really LinuxMCE itself but either hardware or outside software being utilized by the system.  Most people won't be able to tell the difference and so the answer to this poll will likely be misleading.

dotnick

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2008, 09:22:28 pm »
Mostly stable here...  1 complaint is more of a Ubuntu/Kubuntu specific.  I've never been able to get a USplash screen to show up in 0710.  Two computers that are very different, no splash screen.  The first was an AMD T-Bird (900 MHz) -- roughly 7 years old NVIDIA GeForce 3.  The second is an AMD 64 X2 6000 with an NVIDIA GeForce 8400 (brand new and just built).  0704 had a splash, and 0804 has a splash... but no 0710 (my opinion is that this was one of the worst Ubuntu/Kubuntu releases to date).... moving on.

Sometimes the ATSC channels won't play... it'll default back to the Analog tuner.  I'm using the Hauppage 1600... this is probably a driver issue (cx18)... but I don't know how to confirm that.  Sometimes the decoding will just fail and will kick out to the main MythTV screen.

The fast forward/rewind doesn't always work as expected.... intermittent at best.  Probably another problem with either the MythTV or Gyration mouse or cx18 driver again..... someone else probably knows better.   

The only thing I can peg to LMCE is that every once in a while it says that I've changed my orbiter and it needs to reload.  I never change the orbiter, so I have no idea why it needs to reload.  Also, the automatic script that is supposed to run for the video resolution setup has only run once.  I can't get it to run again on boot.

But... then again, I still love it, even with its small problems.