Author Topic: Remote functionality questions...  (Read 3652 times)

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
Remote functionality questions...
« on: September 09, 2008, 01:40:12 am »
I'm considering getting a gyro mouse, but before I do I want to know if I can "test drive" the functionality by using a keyboard (just the F6/F7/F8 keys) and a mouse. 

On a semi-related note, I've seen MS MCE remotes both with and without the color buttons.  I've found that I constantly use the colored buttons on my StreamZap remote, mainly just red and green.  Do the MS MCE remotes without the colored buttons have an equivalent key for the colored buttons, but are simply no longer red/green/etc. or do I really need to find one with the colored buttons to get all the functionality?

Before the "just buy a Fiire Chief" comments start, I may eventually buy one, but I'm not going to spend $150 for every MD in the house but with multiple people using multiple MDs at the same time I need a good working remote for each.

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
Re: Remote functionality questions...
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 01:54:29 am »
Just a thought, even if you did go with Fiire, you don't need to buy a device for every MD, just each person and they can roam with them. In fact I would say that this is the way it is supposed to be used. Of course you may have more/same number of people as MDs so this becomes irrelevant!

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 06:25:12 am »
Not realistic unfortunately.  Two adults, two boys (5 and 9), two MDs soon to be 4.  It's damn near impossible to keep track of the remotes I have even with one per room and a "remotes STAY on this table" rule.  Plus, I don't watch all that much TV but if I go to bed and reach over to grab the remote I don't want to realize at that point my only remote is in the living room.  What I want/need is a semi-inexpensive full featured remote that will stay with each MD, THEN possibly a Fiire remote that can go from room to room.  I'm also not about to spend $300 so each of my boys can have their on Fiire Chief.

Surely someone knows if an MS MCE remote with colored buttons works identical to one without, as well as if a Gyration Go Mouse is functionally the same as a mouse + F6/F7/F8...

wombiroller

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 12:49:07 pm »
Hey Skeptic,

I wasn't really keen on spending $200+ to get a fiire chief all the way to Australia so went with the Gyration Remote GYR3101US (Non-Fiire Chief) pictured here: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/images/5/56/Gyration-GYR3101US-codes.png

It works pretty well. Not all the keys are mapped, but with the notable exception of the absolute scrolling not working (relative is fine) - I find it very useful for day to day use (much easier/faster than the Nokia n810 orbiter)... The keys are mapped in a slightly odd config but you get used to it pretty quickly. From http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Using_the_Gyration_Remote_GYR3101US_(Non-Fiire_Chief) (you can map these to the above image):

keycode 176 = F8
keycode 174 = F6
keycode 97 = F7
keycode 110 = P
keycode 177 = R
keycode 153 = Z
keycode 144 = Q
keycode 134 = I
keycode 160 = F9
keycode 237 = Y

So... the Big Green MCE button = F7 Menu button
The + Volume button = F8 (Volume/Lighting button "ambience")
The - Volume button = F6 (Channel/Chapter FFWD/RWD/PAUSE menu)

Of course you can remap these.

Long story short - yes you can practive with the F6-8 keys and a mouse. Same thing...

Can't help you much with the coloured button remote (not really sure which one this is?).

Cheers,
WR

edit: copy paste error
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 12:56:18 pm by wombiroller »

Techstyle

• Addicted
    • View Profile
    • Techstyle UK Ltd.
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2008, 01:55:59 pm »
I have a MCE remote with coloured buttons but do not use them.

the Win MCE button I use all the time, the volume up and down is on the remote.  FF, RW Pause is on the remote.  The lights can not be controlled without the coloured buttons, unless you use the onscreen orbiter lighting menu

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2008, 06:30:41 pm »
As of yet, I don't have lighting control so that's not a big issue for now, and as long as I can control them via scenarios and onscreen lighting menu I don't mind an extra step or two. 

What does the Win MCE button do?  Does it bring up the on screen menu?  Currently I use the green button to bring up the on screen menu overlay and the red button to close the menu.  Those plus the standard remote functions, controlling volume, media playback, channels, etc. are all I'm really after.

If I could find the Gyration remote for under $50 like others have, I'd buy it.  At $100 it's out of the cheap remote for every MD range and into the buy only one that does everything range, and at that point I'd buy a Fiire and get full plug and play plus follow me.

I'm looking to add 2 more MDs in the very near future, and 4 more after that.  I know I'm being a cheap bastard, but when you multiply the cost by 6, a $30 remote vs. a $100 remote turns into $180 vs. $600.  On the other hand, hassle and WAF plays a big role as well so I'm looking for the cheapest setup that will provide full functionality and let me toss my other remotes in a drawer.

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2008, 09:10:58 pm »
Didn't want to start another thread, but just a heads up.  Tigerdirect is selling a refurbished Gyration GoMouse for $30 plus shipping.  Not sure if this is common, but it's the lowest I've seen it.  After missing out on the Circuit City sub-$30 Gyration MCE remote I decided to order one.