Author Topic: changing the workgroup name - does it break anything?  (Read 2447 times)

freymann

• Douchebag
  • Guru
    • View Profile
changing the workgroup name - does it break anything?
« on: September 08, 2008, 09:09:37 pm »
The other day when I had my XP box booted up, I noticed two workgroups... WORKGROUP and LINUXMCE. I was surprised to see the LINUXMCE workgroup, as in the main admin page, I changed it from LINUXMCE to WORKGROUP, as it was easier to make one change there rather than run around all my other computers and change the workgroup name and reboot them all.

However, that has me thinking...

On any of my MD's without tuner cards, MythTV always starts and then exits within 30-45 seconds. I'm wondering if the workgroup name is related to this somehow? I checked the LINUXMCE workgroup and Moon32 was in there. That's my living-room machine. I thought if I updated the workgroup name in the admin pages, it would affect everything, but apparently not.

So now I'm thinking I should go back to LINUXMCE and run around and manually configure my XP boxes and build another test MD and see what happens.

So does anybody know if changing the workgroup name in the admin pages breaks anything?

bulek

• Administrator
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
  • Living with LMCE
    • View Profile
Re: changing the workgroup name - does it break anything?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008, 10:18:58 pm »
I'm using custom name for workgroup and I remember I had to enable Samba as WINS server and put that ip also in win xp computers... Have no clue if this is connected to my specifics or is tied to use of custom workgroup name...

HTH,

regards,

Bulek.
Thanks in advance,

regards,

Bulek.