Author Topic: Problem's getting AVWizard up and runnig  (Read 3595 times)

Sijjin

• View Profile
Problem's getting AVWizard up and runnig
« on: September 07, 2008, 11:20:33 pm »
First of I am totally new to Linux, so use layman’s terms pleas.
I’m having trouble installing Linux MCE on my Media Centre PC.

After I installed the software, I just get a black screen, instead of the AV setup.

I have read trough the information found on; http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/AVWizard_Step_by_Step

That explains the problem, I Think.
I only have DVI ports on my graphics card, so it must have something to do with the connections.
The AVWizard says that I need to listen for some bibs then press Shift, this presents a problem for me since my cabinet doesn’t have any speaker that I can connect to the main board, so I can’t hear ant bibs.

I also tried using a DVI / VGA converter, and hocked it up to an old monitor, but it still didn’t work.

Any suggestions?

My Hardware setup;
Asus P5K, Intel P35, LGA775                 
GigaByte NX76T256D-RH, 7600GT, 256MB
Kingston HyperX KHX6400D2K2/2G - Kit         
NorthQ NQ4300GP-FL 400W, Fanless PSU         
Samsung SP F1, 500GB, SATAII, 16MB           
Core 2 Duo E4600, BOX, LGA775 

Crumble

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Problem's getting AVWizard up and runnig
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008, 01:24:47 am »
Which version are you using for install?  i'd recommend the i386 dvd installation route, there seems to be more support for it at this time and seems to work without alot of tweaking.  Are you getting a kubuntu screen before it goes blank?  if so then you deffinately just need to read this.  http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/AVWizard

Crumble

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2008, 01:25:21 am »
Assuming that you have pressed the 1-9 & 0 buttons on your keyboard as needed to select the output and resolution? If not, look that up first and try it.

You have a video card, but does the motherboard have onboard graphics as well? If so, you must disable it in BIOS, setting it as secondary to the card isn't good enough. Let me know if your BIOS doesnt allow that and I can give you instructions on how to work around it

Sijjin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2008, 01:45:02 am »
I have tried installing both the v.710 - i386 and amd64 install DVD.
I am getting a kubuntu loading screen before the black screen, but as I mentioned I can’t hear the bibs because my cabinet has no speaker. When do the bibs typically happen. Before or after the lording screen?
There is no onboard graphic’s on my motherboard.

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2008, 02:03:40 am »
Don't worry about the "bibs", it is going into the AVWizard anyway, you only need to worry about that if you want to force it into the AVWizard manually - and even then you don't need the sound, just hold down shift the entire time the Kubuntu progress bar is on screen and you will get it!

But you haven't answered either of us on the most important point - have you pressed the number keys??!! Hint - it defaults to VGA so you won't get anything until you hit '1' and wait for 15 secs at least while it restarts X...

Sijjin

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2008, 07:16:51 pm »
I have tried pressing the 0-9 key combinations, but to no avail.
After I press the 1key it takes about 15sek, then an empty prompt for about 3sek, then the TV says Signal Lost for about 3sek, then the TV gets the signal back. But I still have a black Screen.
The same thing happens for the key’s 6 to 0.
Please help I really want this to work.

Crumble

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2008, 07:50:07 pm »
i would check the asus bios then, you can put video slots in the order that you need em to boot.  So assuming you have a pciexpress card make sure pcix is the first thing the bios looks for to send the video to.  I'm not sure about this but using the amd 64 on an asus p5k probably shouldn't work to well.  The next thing i would check is when you think it's booted hit ctrl+alt+f2 and see if a screen comes up then.  That should deffinately send it to the input linux thinks is the default, if you see a login prompt then it's gotta be the driver for your card if not your motherboard.  http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/ASUS_P5K  If you think your board falls under the category described in the wiki i'd say time for a new board.  Or have some fun learning linux!!!

Crumble

Sijjin

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2008, 11:41:53 pm »
Actually that post was the reason I chose this board it says that the basic ASUS P5K “Works without issues as a core/hybrid”
I have tried fleshing the BIOS with an ASUS driver they say is for LINUX systems.
I think I might have accidently destroyed the installation, after the Load screen it gave me a garbled Kubuntu Image and froze up, so I am currently reinstalling LinuxMCE.
As for the bios settings, there really isn’t much I can do, I tried some different settings but there weren’t that many to be honest.
Asus has something called PEG/PCI which determines the primary graphic’s boot, I tried changing it to PCI/PEG, but it didn’t help.
I tried disabling PEG but all that did was that I got a no signal on my TV, had to manually reset the CMOS to get it working again.
I also tried enabling something called “PEG Force x1” but no matter what I try AVsetup just whont start.
I just hope that the BIOS Update will work.
Oh yeah I tried hitting “CTRL ALT F2” it asked me for login and Password. I type LinuxMCE for login and then my Password; I’m having a hard time making out what it says because the text in my prompt is a bit garbled.

Holy Crap It Worked, the Bios Flash actually worked.
I have some work to do. I just hope its smooth sailing from here.
Thanks for your Help