Author Topic: Linux MCE on a non kde based system?  (Read 2030 times)

bezerker

• First post!
    • View Profile
Linux MCE on a non kde based system?
« on: September 09, 2008, 09:24:13 am »
Hello,

I have recently built a new media center and was playing around with different setups ranging from vista MCE to ubuntu linux with Elisa.
Now to problem is the basics. Vista is crap but it works
Linux works like a charm just abit difficult to learn but im getting there. The gnome interface is different but that doesnt matter.
My real point is the KDE. TBH this is absoluutly the worst piece of crap software ive ever used. I expect it to run at least with basic settings.
When i use KDE in any form (fedora used KDE / ubuntu installed KDE / installed Kubuntu) it will not logout change resolution or what ever without crashing. (and yes tryed version 3 up to 4.1 en yes 4.1 is the worst but no it doesnt matter i really dont see the point in releasing updated software if its going to crash by simply changing the resolution)
It brings back memorys of the worst thing microsoft ever made "windows millenium"
Ive tryed to find help but basically no body is interested in helping people using KDE (go figure)
So the only way im going to be trying LinuxMCE will be with a gnomebased system

Now the question is can linux MCE be run on a gnomebased system in any fashion or do i need to right off this software as non stable junk?
Im very sorry to any that may feel offended by this post in anyway.

And for any wondering i have my system setup to run Wine and play quite a few games so there is absoluutly nothing wrong with my video driver or settings.

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
Re: Linux MCE on a non kde based system?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 12:02:02 pm »
No. It is based on KDE and will not run under Gnome, it is too tightly integrated and requires certain acceleration features that KDE provides but Gnome does not. Your experience does not tally with mine - I have not found KDE unstable at all (stating that it crashes during resolution changes is absurd, I would suggest you look to your video drivers). If you are unprepared even to try LMCE on the basis that KDE crashes on simple events like resolution changes, then I would say 1) you are not approaching this as a media centre, and 2) you should probably look for another product.

What I would suggest is that before you make judgements, you try to absorb just how large and sophisticated this project is, and then put the KDE perceptions into perspective with that.