Author Topic: How's Insteon working?  (Read 26980 times)

ddamron

• Alumni
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
    • My LinuxMCE User Page
Re: How's Insteon working?
« Reply #45 on: March 13, 2008, 07:27:07 am »
"JimmyGosling is up and running."

Can either you or Jimmy say what the problem was and how it was made to work.

This could be useful for other people as it's a permanent record.

PS. I've just rx'd my 2412S so I'm hoping to start testing real soon.

Regards and best wishes...Martin

Marrandy,

Yesterday, I did an Insteon Update on the wiki.  Here's the latest:

1.  X10 isn't quite operational yet.  Some of X10 works, some doesn't.
2.  In debugging the X10 side, I came across bug after bug after bug, I've spent about 16 hours, and it's still not up with X10 yet.
3.  Part of the problems with X10 are to do with HOW X10 addresses are stored in the database.  That led to a POTENTIAL problem of having orphaned records, which led to a potential to have an orphaned device, etc etc etc,... so now, if the PLM cannot communicate, it removes the device, then also removes the link in the PLM.

Along with all this, I've been fighting with 2 other issues regarding PnP.

1.  The PLM Device itself (autosense and auto config/install of the PLM)
2.  PnP detection of detected INSTEON devices (partially working)

I'm almost tempted to push this back into BETA rather than Release candidate.  The other option is to make restrictions as to it's current capabilities.  As you know, Insteon devices come in all flavours, from climate to irrigation to plumbing, to Automatic Pet watering devices..  About 95% of the devices currently sense properly, but I'm fighting with how to create the child devices for said insteon devices.

(a perfect example, my Irrigation controller senses correctly, but the only template available is a Sprinkler Valve... I have to create a specific device template for a sprinkler CONTROLLER with 8 sprinkers, programs, timers, etc etc.)

What (Jimmy and) I did was FOLLOW THE WIKI.  it's updated as often as I can, with current code.

There was no 'magic fix', it worked right from the wiki.

Jimmy simply accidentally copied the wrong code into the wrong field :)

I ra'd into his box, and had him up in about 1/2 hour.

Sorry, I don't have the link in the wiki handy, but search for INSTEON, and I'm sure you'll find it.

HTH

Dan
The only intuitive interface is the nipple.  After that it's all learned.
My other computer is your windows box.
I'm out of my mind.  Back in 5 minutes.
Q:  What's Red and smells like blue paint?

A:  Red Paint.

JimmyGosling

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 13, 2008, 05:49:24 pm »
marrandy,
Perhaps these will be of some help.  A couple of screen shots from my own setup:

This first picture is of the PLM.  This is what it should look like after you have completed the steps detailed in the wiki. Your "com port on PC" will likely be different as well as the room name (should be the room containing your core)

This second picture is of my two devices.  the first the light dimmer switch, and the second is actually a switchable wall receptical which I use for floor lights.  ddamron informs me that soon this will be an automatic setup, but current these were set up manually.  Ddamron added the first, I added the second without any issues.

The floorplan info is not needed, this is just the map point for your floorplan.  (you may not have/want/need one)
The PK_FloorplanObjectType will be setup when you add the new device and pick a template
The port channel number (also referred to as the Insteon ID) is a hex code you'll find on the device itself.  (a small sticker at the bottom)
Configuration: You don't set this, the system will pick it up when it finds the device and downloads it's db.  When you add a new device you can "reset" this config and download again by simply deleting this line and updating.

Hopefully that has helped clarify a few things.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2008, 03:24:26 am by JimmyGosling »

ddamron

• Alumni
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
    • My LinuxMCE User Page
« Reply #47 on: March 15, 2008, 09:48:45 pm »
Jimmy,

It's also worth noting (since you posted the image) the configuration line.  This field is added by my driver, so you don't have to put anything there.
and just fyi:
00-01 = Device Cat
02-03 = Device Subcat
04-05 = Database Delta
after the ******** starts the ACTUAL DEVICE's COMPLETE DATABASE (in the form it's stored in the device)

ie:  Your device # 75 is Insteon Devcat 01 (Lighting Control Dimming) and subcat 04 = SwitchLinc V2 Dimmer 1000W [2476DH]
Your Device # 76 is Insteon Devcat 02(Lighting Control Switched) and subcat 08 = OutletLinc [2473S]
oh, to activate the 'spider', reset the configuration line, (delete it).  When the router is reloaded, it compared the database delta (04-05) with the database delta in the remote device.  If they are different, it downloads the complete database automagically, then examines that database for links it doesn't know about, attempts to connect to them, adds them as 'children', and downloads their device databases, and continues like so, until it doesn't find any new records.

HTH

Dan
The only intuitive interface is the nipple.  After that it's all learned.
My other computer is your windows box.
I'm out of my mind.  Back in 5 minutes.
Q:  What's Red and smells like blue paint?

A:  Red Paint.

JimmyGosling

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 17, 2008, 03:53:55 pm »
that's some great info.

I've taken the liberty of adding this entry into the insteon wiki page
http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Running_the_Insteon_PLM_Driver_for_the_First_Time#Sample_Setup basically reflecting what we've said here.

cesarscav

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 05, 2008, 04:59:33 am »
I Don't know if it is to late to post here. hope is not and some one with  more experience that I, could give me a hand on this issue

My configuration first

Linux MCE 7.10 RC2 AMD 64
PLM 2412S (Tried different ways of connecting , GC100, USB - Serial Adapter, Installed Serial PCI card)
2 wall Switches

Follow up the RC1 Insteon Support on wiki
The set up went easy no issues there, the driver starts fine( I think).
It detects the switches creates the config
The problem start when I try to send a command (on or off) from the web admin or the orbiter to one of the devices, nothings happens When I look at the logs as suggested here

*  in the TOP RIGHT, click 'FOLLOW LOG'

This will pop up a new window with the log processing in real time. When you quick reload the router, I'd recommend pressing F5 on the Log window to clear out the old history. During the initialization of the GSD, it shows all the code (over 2000 lines) before it actually 'starts' (hence the refresh)
I see this

Code: [Select]
05 09/04/08 22:48:34.264 GSDMessageTranslator isCmdImplemented = false <0x42003950>
05 09/04/08 22:48:34.271 #### Pre-Process Queue = 1 <0x42003950>
05 09/04/08 22:48:34.279 _QueueProc Pre - 192 : 0 <0x40800950>
05 09/04/08 22:48:34.280 GSD-Sleep Pre 192 : 0 <0x40800950>
05 09/04/08 22:48:34.280 Process Queue = 1 <0x40800950>
05 09/04/08 22:48:34.283 GSD-Sleep Post 192 : 0 <0x40800950>
05 09/04/08 22:48:34.283 _QueueProc Post - 192 : 0 <0x40800950>
should I see the command going out?
I test the devices with a linux tool plmtools-0.0.3-r1 downloaded here:http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=217379 in the same computer
And it worked fine it sends the commands and receive the reply from the devices.

I'm really stuck here. Please if some one of the big guys can give me a hand here I'll appreciated.

Thanks

Cesar

williammanda

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 15, 2008, 06:06:14 pm »
I'm having trouble getting the 2412s to communicate with a X10 light switch (maybe ws467). See more detail at this post:
http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=5931.0

Thanks