Author Topic: Streaming MP4 to PS3 and XBox 360  (Read 3382 times)

cobra2497

• First post!
    • View Profile
Streaming MP4 to PS3 and XBox 360
« on: May 05, 2008, 06:52:28 pm »
Hi everyone,

I'm a new user to Linux MCE still getting my feet wet with it.  I have managed to install and get everything up and running.  I'm wondering if anyone has any good documentation on taking my existing .mp4 movies and how to stream those to my PS3 and XBox 360.

Any help would be great! 

tthaulow

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Streaming MP4 to PS3 and XBox 360
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2008, 09:35:54 pm »
In PS3, both mythtv and linuxmce shows up as media servers out-of-the-box. Have you tried?

I have some problems when my PS3 tries to play the files, but that seems to be a general problem in my system. It happens with all mediaservers I am running.
amd64, asus A8N-SLI, 2gb ram, 500gb sata ++, nvidia 6800.
TV: Sony KDV-50E2010
nad 761 DD/DTS reciever via SPDIF

golgoj4

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • hrumpf!
    • View Profile
    • Mah Website
Re: Streaming MP4 to PS3 and XBox 360
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2008, 10:04:24 pm »
1. I know this is an old topic, but I like to add these to the forum and the wiki as people tend to search both.

Ok, so after recently getting a ps3, i wanted to use all its features, one of which is supposed upnp / dlna compliance for locating and presenting media stored on other devices.

As some many know, lmce uses http://fuppes.ulrich-voelkel.de/ (fuppes) upnp media server. I also found out that mythTV has an upnp Media Server.

Initially, my ps3 2 media servers:
MythTV AV server
LinuxMCE

I could view recordings from the myth server out of the box, including the metadata,  but only photos from linuxMCE
After doing some research, I found the instructions on how to make my ENTIRE library of media available on my ps3.

The explanation is here http://fuppes.ulrich-voelkel.de/wiki/index.php?title=Devices

please note that you should only make changes in the specfic device settings, NOT the default settings.  This is because the playstation requires things formatted a certain way.  :-\ but this fixes that issue. ;D

Once i did this i rebooted my system and was able to view videos and listen to music. Please make a note you need an entry for every type of file type you may have. This transcodes them so the ps3 doesn't complain about improper filetypes. I have been testing this out and there seems to be little to no impact on the core when they are playing :)

It also works with XBMC windows client as well. When adding a source, choose to browse upnp devices and linuxmce and mythtv Av server should show up. One caveat: on my 1st attempt to browse via upnp, nothing showed up. then i went back and both were there. The windows client for xbmc seems to be a little slow when it boots but otherwise i could access and watch my library there as well.

There are also device profiles for the xbox360 in the fuppies config, but you MUST read the instructions FIRST.

Hope this helps

-golgoj4

Linuxmce - Where everyone is never wrong, but we are always behind xbmc in the media / ui department.