Author Topic: USBUIRT Problem.  (Read 4845 times)

Crumble

• Veteran
    • View Profile
USBUIRT Problem.
« on: September 03, 2008, 04:05:47 am »
I'm having problems with installing a usbuirt.  For whatever reason everytime i plug it in or reload the router it installs the drivers and firmware (most of the time) then hangs up when reloading the router during the install.  It gets to 92% then hangs, and gives me the error message some devices did not start properly.  You may still use them but some functionallyity may be lost.  Im not sure where to start with this one, please tell me what i need to do.

Thanks
Crumble.

Crumble

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: USBUIRT Problem.
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2008, 05:10:38 pm »
ahhhh, ok i haven't tried that.  Another question, i have the fiire chief and i was using that with the dongle that comes with it.  I wasn't able to use the remote with the usbuirt, but the thing i think is happening is i got the usbuirt with 56k add on thingy.  I don't think there is support for that, so i think it's hanging up on the addon.  I saw it start the usbuirt twice and the first time it works and hangs up on the second time it tries to start it #38 usbuirt.  So my question is, if i uninstall the dongle then uninstall everything the usbuirt installed and the devices i added i should be able to use the remote via the usbuirt?  Also the other weird thing is that when i am using the fiire remote the usbuirt only lights up when im using a remote to control the tv if that makes sense.  So it looks like the usbuirt is completely ignoring the fiire remote when im controlling linuxmce.  phew, man my brain is starting to hurt.  Also im completely lost when trying to add devices and remote codes but one thing at a time i think.  Thanks for the reply rodercot, you got lots of good info on here, thanks for that.

Crumble

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2008, 11:10:04 pm »
Why are you trying to get USBUIRT to receive from a Fiire remote? It already has its own dedicated interface through the dongle, the IR in it is for controlling legacy devices, not LMCE!

Crumble

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2008, 02:04:14 am »
right thats what i thought, so i should be able to set up a scenario now where the usbuirt changes the channel on my cable box when i use the mythtv channel browser.  Rodercot was right though for some reason the usbuirt would not install itself until i uninstalled the dongle.  So now my question is how do i set up scenarios?  Let me tell you what i do understand.  I understand how to set all the inputs and properties for a device then use the connection wizard to tell linuxmce how to control my equipment, except for the cable box throught the pvr part, thats confusing the crap out of me.  I understand if i can't get the learning mode to work that i need to get the windows app and record the codes i need and manually install them into ir properties.  What i don't get is the scenarios maybe someone   can explain this to me, i am basically using the same setup as the demo video only i have no rs232 connection on my tuner.  I do have the codes and remote for it though.  Whenever i try and control anything with the usbuirti get nothing, i think i have the right codes, well actually im not sure at all, i think i got the learning mode to work but not 100% sure.   Ehh, im confusing myself, any explanations would be appreciated.

Thanks
Crumble

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2008, 05:14:57 am »
hmm... a couple of points that might help... learning mode seems to need the sending remote to be right in front of the USBUIRT, like a few cms away to successfully grab the codes. Also, there is a bug in kernels 2.6.20-24 (which includes 0710's kernel) which means that USBUIRT cannot transmit at all... there is a simple fix by recompiling, but Seth posted a binary version of the fixed driver on the wiki if you are using i386...

Crumble

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2008, 05:19:52 am »
ok i figured out half the problem, it looks like when i installed the nvidia driver i compiled the kernel while on telinit 1.  This seems to have done something weird to the kernel so i reinstalled the os and used ctrl-alt and Backspace to killx and now i have zero hardware probs.  I still have a learning problem though, i read that a window is supposed to come saying that it grabbed a code.  I tried your method colinjones and that does not seem to work either.  I'll keep at it any suggestions are appreciated and thankyou for the replys.

Crumble

Crumble

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2008, 06:32:51 am »
ok i got it, it was that i wasn't holding the remote close enought to it, and had to add seth's driver.  Now i have one problem left, I can't figure out how to tell the connection wizard that my cable box is going through the pvr to my tv.  I want the usbuirt to change channels on the cable box not the pvr-350.  The problem lies with the 250 device template i think there is no antenna in and out just an out.  So how do i tell linuxmce that there another input on my pvr?  Now that i think about it i don't think there are any inputs on my device template just outputs.  Hmmmm, im missing one line in the connection wizard and i think ill be golden at that point.  Thanks for the replys guys im so close, everything else seems to work perfectly your help is much appreciated.

Crumble

Crumble

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2008, 01:15:30 am »
ok, i got it figured out.  Everything is setup just like the video.  Thankyou collinjones and rodercot, your help is much appreciated.  To anyone else having trouble with usbuirt setup feel free to pm me i think i understand how it works very well now.  What worked for me was erasing all the devices making new templates and setting the codes up after the devices were in place.  If anyone has a regza 42" i have the ir codes and understand very well how to setup switching the inputs.  The ir codes should be on pluto as well they are set to shared.  If anyone thinks a wiki page should be setup i'd be more than happy to do that.  I have one more question that i think has been explained but i can't figure it out.  I'm trying to make the switching inputs command a little more designed for this tv, instead of Linux mce hitting the input command 6 or 7 times in a row the tv supports one input command and a number corresponding to the input. 

Crumble