Author Topic: How can you make a Wireless Disked MD work? :)  (Read 2373 times)

aSHARK8me

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
How can you make a Wireless Disked MD work? :)
« on: September 02, 2008, 10:37:20 pm »
OK yes I know its not supported lol, but its what i have and i want to make it work.
Please offer any suggestions to help, i just dont believe that its not possible.
note: im just streaming low res content (s-video or componet to an older TV)
Sooo, i read in the wiki:

Many users will therefore also choose to install LinuxMCE directly on a PC that will be be used as a Media Director, often placing it on a separate partition from the native OS. A bootloader (such as GRUB) is then used to choose whether to boot the LinuxMCE partition or the partition that contains the native OS.
This step doesn't give you the choice of installing "Media Director only", though. Therefore, for a PC onto which you are directly installing LinuxMCE for use as a Media Director, choose "hybrid." It is possible to later turn off the "autostart Core services" option from the Launch Manager and use the "autostart Media Director services" option only.

This is pretty much want i want to do. I cant netboot since my mobo dosnt support PXE and i have a wireless pci adapter. I could build a GRUB menu to do it, but then i read how everyone says it sucks. There is litterly no reasonable way to do this wired; its on the other end of the appartment. All my tries so far have failed to get this to work (converting the hybird down to a media director)

Here are my crazy "i dont really know what im doing" ideas.
1. install 7040 back when this hybrid to media director thing was supposed to work.
2. if i can create an image for this box to netboot too....why cant i just take the image and load it onto the disk? shouldnt it boot? (yea im a noob)
3. Install Windows MCE and be a shame to myself and everyone who loves me.  :'(

Monkgs

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: How can you make a Wireless Disked MD work? :)
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2008, 08:09:18 am »
Using grub PXE boot seems 100 times easier if it supports your network card.

It makes sense that you should be able to copy the boot image to the hard drive and chainload it. Have you tried that?

aSHARK8me

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2008, 02:32:42 pm »
Can i use the grub PXE boot (assuming it supports it) on a wireless PCI adapter? If so ill try that as a last resort.

Yesterday I was tweaking the network, I wanna see if I can do this without having to buy anymore parts (i.e. another nic, or wireless switch)

Today I will try loading the Image onto the disk. You said to chainload it, and I can see why... but do I still need to do that if its going to be my only partition and OS?

If that does not work I'll load Kubuntu, get the wireless working and talking to the Core, then install LinuxMCE on top. Someone said in a past that they were able to get that working.

If that does not work I'll try the same thing using 7040

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2008, 02:40:18 pm »
How will your wireless card know which SSID to associate with, what encryption and authentication scheme to use and what key is needed to get onto your wireless LAN so that it can get to the DHCP server to start the process without an OS already running on the machine with the wireless card in it? In short, no you can't do this unless the card allows you to pre-setup all this info and store it on the card for boot-time (I am not aware of any such card). You would need a standalone wireless bridge to do this.