Author Topic: Lite-On Blu-Ray Drive Problems  (Read 7643 times)

usaf-lt-g

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Lite-On Blu-Ray Drive Problems
« on: August 29, 2008, 03:35:35 am »
Hey guys,

I have a Lite-On Blu-Ray Drive installed in my core. The core has the BD / DVD Ripping packages are installed. I can play and rip DVD discs just fine, however, whenever I put a BD disc in there, it doesn't even detect it, let alone allow me to rip it. Is there some driver I need to install to enable it?

Thanks!

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
Re: Lite-On Blu-Ray Drive Problems
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2008, 04:55:24 am »
I also have a Lite-on Blu-Ray drive on my core/md hybrid.  As far as I remember, I didn't do anything to have it detect when I insert a Blu-Ray disc.  However, I only have 1 movie to test with.  Unfortunately, Blu-Ray support is pretty bad right now, only discs with the first couple protection methods can be ripped.  I've done a fair amount of research, although not in the last month or so.  When I get around to it I plan to pull the drive out of the core, slap it in my Linux desktop, then either run Windoze in a VM or dual boot into windows and rip it.  Then I'll transcode it to save a little space and copy the movie to my core.  Right now, the only reliable Blu-Ray ripping tools are winoze only.  Until things change, trying to use Linux for Blu-Ray is almost pointless.

Probably doesn't help with your issue, but it's something to think about.

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2008, 04:59:43 pm »
Welcome to the wonderful world of DRM, where you're prevented from using the stuff you legally bought and payed for.  And when you do try to use it the way you want, suddenly you're the criminal, thanks to new legislation sponsored by the Music And Film Industry Assholes of America (MAFIAA).
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2008, 08:00:07 pm »
Welcome to the wonderful world of DRM, where you're prevented from using the stuff you legally bought and payed for.  And when you do try to use it the way you want, suddenly you're the criminal, thanks to new legislation sponsored by the Music And Film Industry Assholes of America (MAFIAA).
Yup.  Makes me want to go pirate their movies.  It certainly doesn't stop people from pirating stuff, it just makes it a PITA for people who legally buy movies and want to use some kind of Media center, or god forbid, watch a movie on a non-Windoze OS.

usaf-lt-g

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2008, 08:56:30 pm »
Well, I was able to get the content onto my Core, by using some programs in Windows, and putting the drive on my windows box. Then I mapped my Cores Video Directory, and placed the "ISO" file there. THen I went into the web director and change the type to LinuxMCE-Blu-Ray Disc, and made it HD 1080 and downloaded the amazon pictures and disc info. However.... when I try to play the disc. It locks up my media center essentially. Am I hitting a bandwidth problem at this point? Network is currently 100Mbps... do I need gig-E to play this now?

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2008, 10:21:53 pm »
yes.

you also need a damn good switch and very good network cable (CAT-5e or better)

-Thom

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2008, 06:15:54 am »
yes.

you also need a damn good switch and very good network cable (CAT-5e or better)

-Thom

Very true, thanks for bringing it up.  I completely forgot to mention that.  I'm slowly converting to 1G for just this reason (1G nic and having the house wired with cat-5e, but no 1G switch or MDs yet). 

usaf-lt-g

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2008, 11:04:45 pm »
Ok, well, this shouldn't be a big feat for me to fix. The house is already wired for cat5e. The switches in my server closet however, are only 10/100Mbps switches. And to be honest, I built my core off the same components that were used in the original LMCE video, but I'm not 100% sure if the ethernet card(s) in there is gigE or not. In fact... now that I think about it, I wonder if my MD has a GigE network card? Better check that here...

Besides that though, is there any other reason I might be getting a black screen when it tries to play?

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2008, 05:04:46 am »
Ok, well, this shouldn't be a big feat for me to fix. The house is already wired for cat5e. The switches in my server closet however, are only 10/100Mbps switches. And to be honest, I built my core off the same components that were used in the original LMCE video, but I'm not 100% sure if the ethernet card(s) in there is gigE or not. In fact... now that I think about it, I wonder if my MD has a GigE network card? Better check that here...

Besides that though, is there any other reason I might be getting a black screen when it tries to play?

Honestly, I would expect it to play jumpy at worst, not lock up, black screen, whatever.  I wouldn't rule out bandwith as the problem, but it doesn't sound like it to me.  I don't have firm numbers handy, but I believe streaming Blu-Ray would require around 30Mb/s.  After figuring in LAN overhead and such, it would be using most of the available bandwidth on a 100Mb/s LAN but if you're not doing anything else it should be able to keep up.  Then again, I may be way off on my 30Mb/s number.

usaf-lt-g

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2008, 07:36:08 am »
Hmm I essentially stored the 2 Blu-Ray Discs I was testing with in an ISO file format. Essentially used winbox tools and extracted the BD disc to ISO format which is supossed to be compatible with 710 RC2. between 35GB and 40GB of data, non-transcoded (don't want to lose that BD Quality ;)

To be honest, I haven't even found a program in Windows that will play BD discs yet. Windows Media Player doesn't recognize the blu-ray content in my blu-ray drive.

usaf-lt-g

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2008, 06:05:59 pm »
Alright well here's another question in regards to my network then to support this.

I replaced my Network Switch with a Gig-E switch. The Switch indicates that the server which is plugged into the switch is running at 1000Mbps. However, the other media directors, and computers running in different rooms indicate that they are only running at 100Mbps. I know that the house was wired with Cat5e. However, I'm wondering if it's because of my termination block in my closet that might be causing the issue. Are there different termination blocks now a days which are only 10/100 capable, and others that are 1000 capable? I would have figured that the termination block would be the last thing I would need to worry about but now I'm questioning myself. Also, I'm wondering if the "wall-plate keystones" are also different and have different bandwidth capabilities? Any thoughts?

usaf-lt-g

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2008, 04:16:52 am »
Interesting... so if it's 568A, it'll only support 10/100 ?

usaf-lt-g

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2008, 06:07:53 am »
Lol... damn installers... They made half the connections 568a and 568b, I switched those, pretty much everything now is running 1000, other than 1 MD which only has a 10/100 nic... ugh... I still can't find info on playback of HD or BD content however.

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2008, 11:58:57 am »
Interesting... so if it's 568A, it'll only support 10/100 ?
wrong
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2008, 11:59:50 am »
Correct,

568a uses 2 or 3 of 4 pairs which 100 can work on 1000 needs 4 pairs which is 568B.

Dave
crap. The only difference between TIA-568A und TIA-568B is that pairs 2 and 3 are swapped.

br ,hari
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation