Author Topic: Demo: LinuxMCE's UPnP to a Nokia N810, playing audio and video.  (Read 14244 times)

Monkgs

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Demo: LinuxMCE's UPnP to a Nokia N810, playing audio and video.
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2008, 07:06:49 am »
And last but not least. Support for Xbox360 and PS3 is excellent.

/niz23

Just to be clear, Media Tomb does not fully support Xbox 360. It may support audio, but definitely not video.

niz23

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2008, 08:25:41 am »
Demus.
And last but not least. Support for Xbox360 and PS3 is excellent.

/niz23

Just to be clear, Media Tomb does not fully support Xbox 360. It may support audio, but definitely not video.

Are you referring to the upcoming 0.12 version or the existing 0.11?
Don´t have a 360 to test with so I cannot say for sure.
A lot of things for X360 have been added into trunk version.

And mostly. The problem is MS way of implementing thins as ususal.

/niz23

Monkgs

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2008, 10:51:27 am »

Are you referring to the upcoming 0.12 version or the existing 0.11?
Don´t have a 360 to test with so I cannot say for sure.
A lot of things for X360 have been added into trunk version.

And mostly. The problem is MS way of implementing thins as ususal.

/niz23

I was simply referring to the documentation from the website. Also the developers have made several posts on the forums indicating that it's far too much work to support the Xbox, and that it won't be happening. Additionally there is no xbox code in the latest development trunk.

niz23

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2008, 01:32:41 pm »
Demus.

Sorry. Have not done my homework good enough and accidentally said.
It is not supported in any way, so far.
And according to the developers it probably will never be unless MS decide to implement something that follow specs.

I was referring to Coherence.
https://coherence.beebits.net/wiki/SupportedDevices

Problem here is what should we support?
Coherence is nice. A python framework for creating UPnP/DLNA servers with.
Pretty complete, but lack transcoding for now. It´s used by "elisa" as their media server.
They are looking into using gtrans for transcoding purposes but no code is comitted yet.

/niz23

samuelmukoti

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2008, 05:48:36 am »
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has made any progress with MediaTomb or Fuppes with regards to transcoding.  I'm really keen to see if i can stream content to the Nokia N810/N800

thanks,

Sam

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2008, 06:25:35 am »
we core devs have way too much on our plates atm.

Anybody wanna help out?

-Thom

golgoj4

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • hrumpf!
    • View Profile
    • Mah Website
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2008, 09:23:29 am »
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has made any progress with MediaTomb or Fuppes with regards to transcoding.  I'm really keen to see if i can stream content to the Nokia N810/N800

thanks,

Sam

What exactly are you trying to transcode? I have very good sucess using the mythTV upnp server as well as fuppes (and thats with a busted config!) with no issues on my ps3. there is pretty good documentation on how to setup custom device profiles as well in their docs. I recommend checking them out. As far as mediatomb, i checked it out but the lack of 360 support makes it a non-starter imo.

If you post what your issues are, i will be more than happy to try and help you figure it out.

From what ive seen in my experience and as tschak has pointed out to me, upnp is pretty sloppy so those making devices make it quite difficult to know exactly what  it specific requirements are. if you check out the fuppes config.

This http://fuppes.ulrich-voelkel.de/wiki/index.php?title=Device_specific_settings will take you to the project relevant docs.

You can see the specific vs general settings

also, dont miss http://fuppes.ulrich-voelkel.de/wiki/index.php?title=Device_specific_settings#video_transcoding. This version, im assuming is compiled with transcoding support because i didnt need to re-compile. I dont remember if i needed to set the flag, but you can check to see if its enabled by

-going to the webadmin
-from top navigation
    advanced ----> configuration -------> upnp server
-choose 'status' and a list of the configured options will come up.

this list will show you options enabled for filetypes for 'general' devices as well as specific ones. You can check there to see what the options are, and with the links above and knowledge of what your device can handle, create a custom profile if needed.

And check back, maybe if we get more people using the upnp stuff we can compile the config files into one larger one.

BTW vfolder.cfg is a whole other bag of worms i have yet to figure out. im still in the transcoding phase :)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2008, 09:47:25 am by golgoj4 »
Linuxmce - Where everyone is never wrong, but we are always behind xbmc in the media / ui department.

samuelmukoti

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2008, 11:00:48 am »
Hi,

thanks,

Sam

What exactly are you trying to transcode? I have very good sucess using the mythTV upnp server as well as fuppes (and thats with a busted config!) with no issues on my ps3. there is pretty good documentation on how to setup custom device profiles as well in their docs. I recommend checking them out. As far as mediatomb, i checked it out but the lack of 360 support makes it a non-starter imo.

If you post what your issues are, i will be more than happy to try and help you figure it out.

From what ive seen in my experience and as tschak has pointed out to me, upnp is pretty sloppy so those making devices make it quite difficult to know exactly what  it specific requirements are. if you check out the fuppes config.

This http://fuppes.ulrich-voelkel.de/wiki/index.php?title=Device_specific_settings will take you to the project relevant docs.

You can see the specific vs general settings

also, dont miss http://fuppes.ulrich-voelkel.de/wiki/index.php?title=Device_specific_settings#video_transcoding. This version, im assuming is compiled with transcoding support because i didnt need to re-compile. I dont remember if i needed to set the flag, but you can check to see if its enabled by

-going to the webadmin
-from top navigation
    advanced ----> configuration -------> upnp server
-choose 'status' and a list of the configured options will come up.

this list will show you options enabled for filetypes for 'general' devices as well as specific ones. You can check there to see what the options are, and with the links above and knowledge of what your device can handle, create a custom profile if needed.

And check back, maybe if we get more people using the upnp stuff we can compile the config files into one larger one.

BTW vfolder.cfg is a whole other bag of worms i have yet to figure out. im still in the transcoding phase :)

Thank you for your post.  Looked at the Device specific settings and will be playing around with it to try put together a device template for the Nokia N810/N800 - thats were my interest was, most of my videos in my library won't play well on the N810 and would like them transcoded for better playback performance. 

Will post how it all pans out - looking good ATM

br,

Sam

golgoj4

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • hrumpf!
    • View Profile
    • Mah Website
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2008, 04:59:02 am »
cool. in that case i recommend finding out what video codec and bitrates work best for your device and you should be good to go.
Linuxmce - Where everyone is never wrong, but we are always behind xbmc in the media / ui department.