Author Topic: Start MythTV without going straight to live TV?  (Read 3258 times)

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
Start MythTV without going straight to live TV?
« on: August 28, 2008, 09:04:03 pm »
I almost never watch TV via LinuxMCE/Myth.  For live TV I watch it live outside of LMCE (only way to get HD with my setup) and I have two MDs but only one capture card.  For recorded stuff I go in through the LMCE video menus.  However, from time to time I do go into Myth to change what I'm recording.  The problem is, quite often when I do this the input is in use for recording a show and the wrapper tries to start live TV something like 8 or 10 times. 

Is there any way I can change this behavior so it gives up after the first attempt, or goes to the main screen and not straight to live TV?

trumpetx

• View Profile
Re: Start MythTV without going straight to live TV?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2008, 09:18:45 pm »
I'm not familiar with LMCE well enough to know for sure, but I think it's just as easy as changing the Myth settings.  I've used MythTV (without LMCE) for about a year now and I have it go to a menu w/out TV when I start it up just because my current crappy video capture card likes to lock up a lot.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2008, 10:13:11 pm »
Not Possible, and don't even ask for it to be added. Sorry.

The end result will eventually be that all of the screens you would normally use under MythTV will be re-implemented in Orbiter itself, so as to be able to bounce the screens onto all the devices in the LMCE system.

-Thom

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2008, 12:51:35 am »
Not Possible, and don't even ask for it to be added. Sorry.
Ok, no worries.  I assume you mean you can't go to the menu instead of directly to TV..   Does that also mean there is no way to have it try fewer times?  If it tried/failed only a couple times instead of the 8-10 before failing and incorrectly telling me there is something wrong with the back end then prompting me to restart it, that would be an improvement.  If there isn't a setting I'm not going to worry about it because:
The end result will eventually be that all of the screens you would normally use under MythTV will be re-implemented in Orbiter itself, so as to be able to bounce the screens onto all the devices in the LMCE system.

-Thom

This is great news!  Myth does feel a bit disconnected from LinuxMCE.  Hitting the various screens directly without the Myth menu system, no backing out of one thing to drill down into something else, will be a nice change indeed.

jondecker76

• Alumni
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2008, 12:30:08 pm »
Here is what I do in your situation:

Start LiveTV. When you get the message the input is in use, hit the escape button and get to the mythtv menu. If you are quick and navigate to Library->Recordings and move the cursor to a recording (you don't have to start it), then the popups saying that the input is in use will stop and you'll be able to freely do what you need to do. You have to be pretty quick though and get this done before the next popup!

Also, if you're just doing it to manage recording schedules, I'd recommend using mythweb (192.168.80.1/mythweb). Its got a great interface for managing recording schedules, and is all I use now.

seth

• Guru
  • A day w/o LinuxMCE is like a day w/o sunshine!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2008, 01:18:13 pm »
 :)
Just to add to this, If you go into Mythtv and you get that message, all you have to do is call up the lmce menu, up so about the third or second from the top left menu, there is an option for"Recordngs", select it, an bam! you have the mythtv recordings menu. This is how my wife prefers to watch recordings, as I have changed the theme, and font size for her "less than efficient" eyes, and it also enables auto commercial skipping, if you have this setup. You will have to right click or select exit/back depending on your remote/keyboard or mouse setup, to remove the lmce overlay. If you use an MCE remote or the Fiire remote, or a well programmed logitech remote emulating the mce remote, there is a button already mapped called "Recorded TV" this will also achieve the same result.

Just my 2 bits  ;)

Regards,

Seth
".....Because Once you've LinuxMCE'd....."
System stats located at my user page:

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Seth

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2008, 04:48:29 pm »
Also, if you're just doing it to manage recording schedules, I'd recommend using mythweb (192.168.80.1/mythweb). Its got a great interface for managing recording schedules, and is all I use now.
Not very convenient when you are sitting in front of the TV with a remote in your hand watching recorded shows and catch a commercial for some other show that looks interesting.  I'll check it out though.
Just to add to this, If you go into Mythtv and you get that message, all you have to do is call up the lmce menu, up so about the third or second from the top left menu, there is an option for"Recordngs", select it, an bam! you have the mythtv recordings menu. <snip> If you use an MCE remote or the Fiire remote, or a well programmed logitech remote emulating the mce remote, there is a button already mapped called "Recorded TV" this will also achieve the same result.

Thanks, I'll give that a try next time I run into this.