Author Topic: Cyberlink HD video player accelerated video playback  (Read 3434 times)

cobradevil

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Cyberlink HD video player accelerated video playback
« on: October 14, 2008, 07:06:31 am »
Hello all,

i'm using lmce 0710 with much success. I have my wiimote running, i use asterisk, i use X10 home automation and of course i'm using the media center for my tv.

When it comes to linux and video playback i'm still having issues with streams at 1080i/p. My machine p4 2.1 Ghz 512 MB ram cannot play these streams because of the enormous CPU decoding.

Now ii have been looking at phoronix.com which has a lot of information about linux hardware.
Looking at the article http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Njc3Mw it seems that when amd is going to release the latest closed source catalyst drivers they will also release some plugin for video acceleration which could be used for hd streams.

Is it possible to replace the video player with a version of cyberlink which will possible include support for these accelerated video playback using the UVD chip?
It would be nice if there was some sort of wrapper for the playback off video so you could choose yourself what player you would like to use.

It would be realy nice to get this kind of support so i could take full benefit of my HD television.
I think it would also be possible for mplayer or Xine to adopt these acceleration method but that will take some time.

What are your thoughts?

With kind regards,

William van de Velde

cobradevil

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Cyberlink HD video player accelerated video playback
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2008, 11:17:37 am »
Hello all

just replying to myself to let you guys know that nvidia also released their purevideo api with patches for mplayer!

look at : http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=nvidia_vdpau&num=2

With kind regards

William van de Velde

sp00nhead

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2008, 12:29:20 pm »
Yeah i've just read about this purevideo patch in the new nvidia drivers
seems most of the main video libs have been patched already, libavcodec, libavutil, and ffmpeg. mplayer has basic support already.

This can only be a good thing for us, will make those onboard nvidia cards really nice for video quality now

Lexje

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2008, 01:29:34 pm »
Just my 2cents:
For testing purposes I bought Cybelink's PowerDVD Linux from Canonical store. I was playing with the same idea as you guys..
It installed allright (Intrepid Ibex) but would not play any video. After digging I fumbled with setting.ini and managed to get it going - it seemed my Blu Ray drive was region free and needed to be set for my region.
Alas until now NO Blu Ray support.
Also I have not found how to play back files / folders / mounted iso's

Unfortunately there seems to be no support whatsoever. I adressed a mail to Canonical a day or 2 ago and so far haven't received any answer....

I'll try to keep this information updated if anything improves...

Regards,

Erwin