Author Topic: Purpose of "System Recovery" boot option?  (Read 7379 times)

Monkgs

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Purpose of "System Recovery" boot option?
« on: August 28, 2008, 04:38:37 pm »
At the bottom of my menu.lst file, on a clean install off of the LinuxMCE DVD I have a menu option:

Code: [Select]
### END DEBIAN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST

title           System Recovery
                root            (hd0,5)
                kernel          /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.20-15-generic root=UUID=f64a7de8-3eb6-42ee-93f5-8737ad0e5f84 quiet install_from_hdd
                initrd          /boot/initrd.img-2.6.20-15-generic

This seems to point to a non-existent kernel image and initrd image. Is there any reason this is here?

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
Re: Purpose of "System Recovery" boot option?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2008, 05:46:03 pm »
If you install from the DVD, there is another partition made, nominally mounted at /mnt/recovery, containing a system recovery image.

-Thom

Monkgs

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2008, 09:59:12 pm »
Yes, I checked there but it only contained 2.6.22-14 kernel images. Maybe a bug?

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2008, 10:06:00 pm »
perhaps.

-Thom

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2008, 10:54:45 pm »
In that case, just change both instances of "2.6.20-15-generic" into "2.6.22-14" (or whatever the actual kernel version is on that partition).
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

Monkgs

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2008, 11:06:50 pm »
Naturally. Was just wondering if I was missing something obvious. I don't really care for my own stuff, but I wrote a how-to on boot+raid and it was relevant to the doc.

JRoque

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2008, 07:46:34 pm »
Hi. I'm in need of recovering since MythTV is messed up. I tried the system recovery menu but, as pointed here, it has the wrong kernel level and it fails. I edited that to 2.6.22-14 but I still get "error 15. file not found". I assume hd0,5 is good for sata recovery partition sda6, yes?

Thanks,
JR

JRoque

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2008, 08:27:34 pm »
Hello again. Beyond fixing the version numbers from 2.6.20.15 to 2.6.22.14, the other problem is that there's no "initrd.img-2.6.22-14-generic" file in the recovery partition. The file there was named: "initrd.img-2.6.22-14-generic.bak". Note the ".bak" suffix.

Until it's fixed, I've edited the menu to say:

Title      System Recovery
root      (hd0,5)
kernel    /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-14-generic root=UUID=f64a7de8-3eb6-42ee-93f5-8737ad0e5f84 quiet install_from_hdd
initrd     /boot/initrd.img-2.6.22-14-generic.bak

It booted to the recovery partition but I can't tell if it's doing anything. Probably due to the "quite" option above.

Thanks,
JR

JRoque

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2008, 03:20:11 am »
Hi. Well, recovery doesn't work. I got the recovery partition to boot but it failed with another error and hung.

I'm now on my 3rd and last MCE install. I think I've given it a fair chance and will be disappointed if I can't make it go. But it's consuming all of my time and I can't picture myself rolling it out throughout my home and then have it break like this. Wish me luck!

JR

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2008, 06:01:05 pm »
So how exactly did MythTV got "messed up"?
-- Anonymous

JRoque

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2008, 03:42:37 am »
Hi. I wish I knew exactly how it did so I could fix it or better yet report it intelligently. But no, I have no idea why it stopped recognizing my HDHomeRun in the sources or input (?) setup page. The device was still there in the admin page but it didn't show in the mythtv setup page. Trying to add the tuners back in did nothing. In fact, I could not add any of the available tuners from the drop down list; after pressing "finish" the screen was still blank with no tuners added.

On the plus side, and after cooling down a bit (sorry), reloading MCE and restoring a backup from last week fixed everything including accounts, settings, etc. It did not restore mythtv's channel lists but, fortunately, I had an open browser on another machine with the correct page loaded (http.://mcebox/mythweb/settings/channels) and simply hit the save button and all my channels were back. Good thing because that took hours to match to the listings. Overall, restoring saved me and I can live with how it all went.

Back to subject, System Recovery did not work for me. I'm not sure what a "UUID" is but, do I need to update that as well with some unique number for my installation? Perhaps that's why recovery didn't work.

Oops, just noticed I'm in the "developer" area.

Thanks,
JR

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2008, 01:14:07 pm »
Glad to see you were able to fix it without to much hassle.

I've never done a dvd install, so I have no idea how broken it is and in wich ways exactly.  But you should be able to see what the UUID should be with "vol_id /dev/sda6" (or hda6, or whatever partition the recovery is actually on).
-- Anonymous

Monkgs

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2008, 07:11:54 am »
It's also important to add that the recovery option probably doesn't do what you're hoping for. It's not like "System Restore" in Windows. Since it's broken, and has been since the release of 0710, I don't think anyone has ever used it.