Author Topic: Basic question about Proxy Orbiter ...  (Read 2435 times)

MarcoZan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Basic question about Proxy Orbiter ...
« on: August 28, 2008, 02:09:16 pm »
 ... and probably a dumb one.

Is Proxy Orbiter intended to be unique in one LMCE system or is it possible to have multiple instances of it?

I'm trying to use as web orbiters a couple of devices not directly supported (i.e. no native orbiter for them) but they are quite different in size (one is an old web tablet, the other one is a mobile phone), so a combination of skin/size good for a device looks terrible on the other one.

One solution (besides using fully supported devices, of course) could be to istantiate 2 different Web orbiters, so I can set up each of them with the proper skin.

Can anyone tell me whether this is possible?

TIA
Marco

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
Re: Basic question about Proxy Orbiter ...
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2008, 04:06:02 pm »
Yes. multiple copies of the Proxy Orbiter can be run on the core. It does not matter.

Keep in mind, that the Proxy orbiter is used for both the Web Orbiter and the Cisco 7970, so it is important for Proxy Orbiter to be able to support multiple instances.

-Thom

MarcoZan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2008, 07:43:41 pm »
Hi Thom and thanks for reply.

Just wanted to make sure it was possible before possibly messing up my system.

Thanks again and regards

Marco

MarcoZan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2008, 10:38:51 am »
well ..I think I'm still missing some bits ...

I added a Generic Web Device (with its Generic Proxy Orbiter child )  following the wiki info, I formatted the orbiter skin to fit a web pad and everything went fine.
Web pad is showing the web orbiter in the desired shape and everything is OK.

Then I repeated the very same procedure to add a second Generic Web Device (with its child as well) and formatted the related orbiter skin to fit a mobile phone.

To my surprise both web orbiters are showing mobile phone skin.

In the web browser when going to http://dcerouter/pluto-admin/weborbiter.php I put the proper user/passwd, then it comes a page where I'm supposed to choose the proper device.

No matter which one I select, (web pad or mobile) I always get the mobile orbiter, that is the last one I added to my system.

Is this the expected behaviour, or am I doing something wrong?

TIA
Marco