Author Topic: Useful customization tricks for Cisco 7970  (Read 7765 times)

bulek

• Administrator
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
  • Living with LMCE
    • View Profile
Useful customization tricks for Cisco 7970
« on: August 27, 2008, 10:37:28 am »
Hi,

recently our Cisco Orbiters got really usefull patch, that makes them being live... (Thanks Thom for great work)...

Now I'm digging into this device and it's really great device that allows users to do many usefull things.

I'd like to aggregate usefull tips & tricks in this thread and kindly ask other users to post usefull tricks...

I also have few questions :
- what FW (SIP or SCCP) is better for LMCE ?

- anyone figured out how to determine (customize) speeddial buttons on the right side ? I've found info about that but none works...
http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Asterisk+phone+cisco+7970+SIP
http://nerdvittles.com/index.php?p=149
http://www.voipcoop.org/viewtopic.php?p=83
It seems that SIP FW is required....

- any easy customization for background feature ?

- can I use Cisco occasionally as intercom (perhaps cisco should be made for two lines/extensions with latter being autoanswered?) under LMCE ?

Thanks in advance,

I'll update Wiki entry,

regards,

Bulek.
Thanks in advance,

regards,

Bulek.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
Re: Useful customization tricks for Cisco 7970
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2008, 01:38:08 pm »
1. please... DO NOT USE THE SIP FIRMWARE WITH THE 7970! It does not have all the features required for use of the 7970 as an orbiter.

2.the speed dial buttons can be customized, please see /etc/asterisk/sccp.conf, however due to some interesting bugs in the sccp channel for asterisk, using these buttons frequently will cause the entire sccp channel to die, rendering the phones dead until asterisk is restarted.

3. The background can be customized, but i can't remember off the top of my head the relevant page at cisco with the info... google it.

4. Hari and I are investigating writing a media plugin/player pair which will use the RTP Push functionality of the Cisco IP phones to push a stream of audio to the phone on demand, as well as record the output of the microphone back into the system. No promises on this one, this is research.

-Thom

bulek

• Administrator
  • Living with LMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2008, 02:36:52 pm »
2.the speed dial buttons can be customized, please see /etc/asterisk/sccp.conf, however due to some interesting bugs in the sccp channel for asterisk, using these buttons frequently will cause the entire sccp channel to die, rendering the phones dead until asterisk is restarted.

-Thom

Hi,

thanks for info. In the mean time, it began to work - it seems the reboot did the trick. Here's simple explanation - I've added this to [devices] section of /etc/asterisk/sccp.conf :

;speeddial = 111,Example Speed dial ; speeddial number and name

and it appeared on phone. But beware, Thom claims that frequent use of speedial buttons can cause instability... I'll leave them out for now...

Regards,

Bulek.
Thanks in advance,

regards,

Bulek.

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2008, 08:43:13 pm »
1. please... DO NOT USE THE SIP FIRMWARE WITH THE 7970! It does not have all the features required for use of the 7970 as an orbiter.

later revisions of the SIP firmware support push and all other XML features. Our template only works with SCCP.

what about ringtones? i use CTU24.raw *LOL*

best regards,
Hari
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation

bulek

• Administrator
  • Living with LMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2008, 10:36:45 am »
Hi,

another two questions came up in my case:
- it seems that no screensaver (or yet better shutting screen off on unactivity) is activated - is this feature not present or do we have some setting for it ?

- what version if sccp FW is recomendable ? I've purchased mine over Ebay, so wonder if FW upgrade should be done...

BTW, just measured power consumption - around 6-8W with Power Brick.

Regards,

Rob.
Thanks in advance,

regards,

Bulek.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2008, 01:40:39 pm »
Screensaver is only done as a time of day thing... it's configured in the SEPxxxxxxxxxx file. Details on this at cisco's site.

-Thom

Hi,

another two questions came up in my case:
- it seems that no screensaver (or yet better shutting screen off on unactivity) is activated - is this feature not present or do we have some setting for it ?

- what version if sccp FW is recomendable ? I've purchased mine over Ebay, so wonder if FW upgrade should be done...

BTW, just measured power consumption - around 6-8W with Power Brick.

Regards,

Rob.

bulek

• Administrator
  • Living with LMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2008, 02:31:19 pm »
Hi,

have found another interesting project for adding xml menus to cisco phones ...

http://sourceforge.net/projects/open79xxdir/

I've also described simple way of adding local xml services to your phone on wiki page..

regards,

Bulek.
Thanks in advance,

regards,

Bulek.