Author Topic: Can linuxmce connect to a normal mythtv backend?  (Read 2644 times)

indulis

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Can linuxmce connect to a normal mythtv backend?
« on: August 22, 2008, 03:30:01 am »
Hi,

I am just about to set a direction for my home automation/theatre system.

One option is to use a FitPC (5W, $300) as a mythtv backend, using a dual tuner USB dongle (Pinnacle 2001E).  I helped a friend set this up and it works v nicely.

Is it possible to have linuxmce use a normal mythtv backend, or does it have to be a linuxmce system.

I did some browsing of the wiki and these forums, but didn't see anything that answered the Q directly.

I suspect that the answer is "all must be linuxmce" in which case I will give up my low-power ambitions and build a bigger central server to house linuxmce.

Thanks!

Indulis

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
Re: Can linuxmce connect to a normal mythtv backend?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2008, 06:02:28 am »
Basically, it all must be LinuxMCE. This system is much more than a media center.. this is a smart home solution, and it is all very tightly integrated.

-Thom

indulis

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Can linuxmce connect to a normal mythtv backend?
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2008, 07:33:32 pm »
Thanks, as I expected!  I was sorta hoping that the frontend/backend architecture of mythtv would have allowed it to be used without having to have linuxmce installed.  So now to check out is a fitpc is fit for linuxmce core as well as mythtv (not hybrid)!

Cheers,

Indulis
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 04:27:53 am by indulis »