Author Topic: How does one set up a core from DVD?  (Read 3264 times)

twodogs

• Guru
    • View Profile
How does one set up a core from DVD?
« on: August 20, 2008, 08:26:10 pm »
I'm trying to set up a home automation system. I currently have 2 computers - one is to be a core located in the basement, the other a media station in the living room. Later I plan to add lighting, security, temperature and sprinkler control.
I've downloaded and burned the linuxmce 7.10 DVD. During install it never asks if the computer is to be used as a core, media station, or hybrid. It just asks for the hard drive to install, then a password. Then after a while it reboots into the video/audio setup and finally Sara comes up with the "if you can see and hear me" wizard. I also notice that the MCE Launch Manager has checks for both "Autostart Core" and "Autostart Media Station" which seems to indicate that I've mistakenly created a hybrid. I've searched for how to create a clean core and found this link.

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Clean_Core

Oh my aching head! Is it really this difficult to create a core? I thought I was trying to set up my system the way it was designed to work.

John
http://greenrenovation.wordpress.com/home-automation/
system:
ASUS P5N7A-VM
integrated GeForce 9300
E5200 processor
Fusion 5 lite HDTV card
2G RAM
SYBA SY-PCI15001 6-port serial card
Denon AVR 3805
LG 42" Plasma
Gyration GYR3101
Cisco SPA3102 analog telephone adapter
Cisco 7971G IP phone/orbiter

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
Re: How does one set up a core from DVD?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008, 08:57:35 pm »
I've downloaded and burned the linuxmce 7.10 DVD. During install it never asks if the computer is to be used as a core, media station, or hybrid.

That is what the CD installer does, the DVD just dumps a pre-installed copy of a hybrid install on your drive.

Oh my aching head! Is it really this difficult to create a core? I thought I was trying to set up my system the way it was designed to work.

Even if you do a core-only install from the CDs it will still start X-windows, that is the way it was designed to work.  Apart from some extra installed software, unchecking "Autostart Media Station" in the launch manager will give you the same effect.  The clean-core instructions are for people who don't want X running at all.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

twodogs

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2008, 01:07:31 am »
Great! Thank you for your reply. I'll just uncheck "autostart media station." Having X running shouldn't do any harm. So I guess my first computer is set. Now I'll have to turn my second computer into a media station. I plan to install from the same DVD then uncheck "autostart core."

John
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 01:10:17 am by twodogs »
system:
ASUS P5N7A-VM
integrated GeForce 9300
E5200 processor
Fusion 5 lite HDTV card
2G RAM
Denon AVR 3805
LG 42" Plasma
Gyration GYR3101
Cisco 7971G IP phone/orbiter

royw

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2008, 02:38:52 am »
Now I'll have to turn my second computer into a media station. I plan to install from the same DVD then uncheck "autostart core."

You might want to try changing your MD's BIOS to net boot...

Have fun,
Roy

twodogs

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2008, 03:09:52 am »
Thanks, I think I give that a try. Then if I don't like it I can always load MCE onto the Media Director and try booting from the hard drive. I've read that net booting takes a long time. I'll want to turn off the media director when not in use to save energy, especially since the core runs 24/7.
system:
ASUS P5N7A-VM
integrated GeForce 9300
E5200 processor
Fusion 5 lite HDTV card
2G RAM
Denon AVR 3805
LG 42" Plasma
Gyration GYR3101