Author Topic: Strange behaviour with disk drive  (Read 3897 times)

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Strange behaviour with disk drive
« on: February 01, 2006, 02:41:11 pm »
Hi all

I have a considerable collection of divx movies, that I did not transfer yet on  my hybrid hard disk (an probably will never do).

Disk drive plugin actually does not support divx format, so I added a simple script call in computing section that mounts my cd, launches xine and plays all avi files on CD, then unmounts cd.

Things are working (i.e I can see my videos) but only after a router quick reload. In other words when I stick cd into hybrid and launch my custom program I cannot see anything.
After a quick reload I can launch my custom program and xine starts playing my divx.

If after playing a divx this way I try to play a regular DVD (without a quick reload in between), playback is not fluent and after some 10-15 minutes my hybrid reboots by itself.

Even if I can still play my video collection this procedure is not exactly "wife - friendly" or "kids-friendly", i.e. no one can see videos if I'm not at home.

Questions are:
1. is my procedure do play divx correct or is there something better I can do?
2. may this strange auto-reboot behaviour be related to Disk Drive plugin and has anyone else experienced something similar?
3. is there anything else that I can check or do in order to gather additional infos that may be useful to better understand what's going on?
4. is there any plan to add divx format support to Disk Drive plugin?

TIA
Marco

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2006, 04:12:57 pm »
I'd also like to have divx support, but I'm not sure about patent restrictions....

I also have collection of all kinds of video files and quite some proportion of them only show black screen....

Regards,

Rob.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2006, 05:58:08 pm »
Hi Rob

I think that all videos encoded with divx or xvid are natively supported by xine, so I don't think that any patent issue should arise.

Regarding your "black screen" videos I also had this problem, that is basically related to wmv files. For those files you have to download proper codecs and let xine know where to find them.
Once you do this, most probably you will be able to play all of your videos.

HTH

Regards
Marco

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2006, 06:23:40 pm »
Quote from: "MarcoZan"
Hi Rob

...Regarding your "black screen" videos I also had this problem, that is basically related to wmv files. For those files you have to download proper codecs and let xine know where to find them.
Once you do this, most probably you will be able to play all of your videos.

HTH

Regards
Marco

Any short instructions somewhere ?

Thanks,

regards,

Rob.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2006, 07:07:50 pm »
Hi Rob

I'm not at home now, will post here more details tonight or tomorrow.

Basically you have to download a codec pack from somewhere that I don't remember, then you have to place those files (usually under /usr/lib/win32), and then you have to edit /etc/pluto/xine.conf in the proper section in order to specify the path where you placed codecs.

I think that if you google around you'll certainly find useful sites to download codecs from.

Regards

Marco

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2006, 01:47:24 am »
Hi Rob

just in case you didn't manage to solve your "black screen videos", here is the link you can download win32 codecs for xine.

Code: [Select]

wget http://www1.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/releases/codecs/essential-20050412.tar.bz2

Untar them in /usr/lib/win32 and you're done.

Regarding my Disk drive issue, it appears to be still there also with .36.

Anyone can shed some light on it?

TIA
Regards
Marco