Author Topic: Adding videos from a windows file share  (Read 2629 times)

Sir Joshua

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
Adding videos from a windows file share
« on: August 19, 2008, 09:06:11 pm »
Ok, so I have a windows file share that has 100+ vidoes in it. When I was on the core (attached to the main TV) it said that it hade found the share and asked if I would like to add it. I clicked on it and it said it hade auto-configed it and it was ready to use, but I needed to restart the router. So I clicked the restart router button and restarted the orbitor. The media files still do not show up under "Media -> movies"... so how do I add it??

seth

• Guru
  • A day w/o LinuxMCE is like a day w/o sunshine!
    • View Profile
Re: Adding videos from a windows file share
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 09:23:23 pm »
 :)
Double check and verify that the files are being properly identified by LMCE. DO this by going to the webadmin @ http://192.168.80.1 or http://dcerouter
After logging in with your credentials, your name, and again your name as password if you have not changed it, across the top of the web page you will see the heading
Files & Media > then choose > Media Files Sync

A panel on the left of the page should show you several choices, look through them for the name of the share drive, could be top level, or it could be under another link like videos or other.

Once you find the drive, click on it in the left pane, this will show you the files contained on it in the right pane.
You should see your videos by file name i.e (blah.avi, blah.mpg, blah.xvid) etc.
Next to the file names will be a drop down box (to the right of them) click it and select (LinuxMCE Video File)
Do this for the first page of them, and then click "Add to database" (to the right of the drop down you just used)
After that is complete, then at the top of the page click "Resynchronize"
Let that finish, and do a reload router, and you should be good. \

Incidently, going forward, now that you have added those file types to the database, all new videos will be automatically folded into the mix, you should not have to do it again.

Regards,

Seth
".....Because Once you've LinuxMCE'd....."
System stats located at my user page:

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Seth

Sir Joshua

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 09:43:00 pm »
I will give it a try. Mght be a few hours for my reply, im at work right now.

While I have you here, I have a 2nd question, is there a way for me to watch the videos on my windows XP box without booting form the network? My BIOS does not have network book support installed.

BTW: Thanks for the fast reply.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 09:44:40 pm by Sir Joshua »

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2008, 12:46:06 am »
Before you try any of that!

Did you choose to use the LMCE folder structure when it prompted you to during the share detection? You really should understand the implications of this option and have a good reason to say no.

Ideally, say yes - LMCE will create the LMCE folder structure under the root of the new drive. Then you just move your media into the appropriate media folders under this structure. LMCE will then start detecting the media and adding it to your database and you will see it in the UI inder the Filename Sort mode (you need to choose this from the Sort menu as it doesn't default to this)

However, as you just have videos and they will not yet be "tagged" for LMCE (title, performers, director, etc) they will not yet be visible in the other Sort modes, such as Title. You can then tag them using the web admin, and they will appear in those modes as well.

On the other hand, if you didn't choose LMCE folder structure, your media will not appear in Filename Sort mode at all, AND because you haven't tagged them yet, they will not appear in the other Sort modes either - effectively making them invisible (although you can find them using the Search feature and play them)

There are a lot of reasons for using the LMCE structure - strongly advise you to do so :)

Sir Joshua

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2008, 02:29:48 am »
I got it fixed in the live chat.