Author Topic: Newbie about to try linux MCE  (Read 3731 times)

madmanbob

• View Profile
Newbie about to try linux MCE
« on: August 19, 2008, 01:33:42 pm »
Hi, I am quite new to Linux, but have two PCs running SUSE 11 without problems. I have put together an old PC with AMD Athalon 2000 and 512Mb Ram. I considered playing with MCE and rather than use a Windoze version, I thought that I would try this.
The target PC does not have any TV cards fitted at the moment, but when I have everything installed I will connect to a 42" plasma TV via DVI cable from the Nvidia grafix card and see if I can get HD (720p) viewing on the TV. If it all works then will my CPU be fast enough? Will there be enough RAM?
The DVD is downloading at the moment so we will see what happens.

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie about to try linux MCE
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 03:11:47 pm »
It really depends on what you are asking it to do. Presumably it will be a hybrid (both core and the media director, rather than 2 machines) this can increase the load, but if you are just doing basic media stuff, generally LMCE doesn't require high end specs. The pure MDs are a little lower in requirements. If anything, for a core you might want to throw in another 512MB, not so much because it is required unless you are intending to do heavier stuff, but because it is so cheap! A spec'd up core that you intend to use in production with a higher load (eg multiple video streams, or automation, and lots of media) then I would say 2GB is oodles most of the time.

By all means play with what you have - when you decide to buy hardware, though, research the options well as it makes the difference between a completely smooth, trivial install and getting yourself tied in knots (esp video).

madmanbob

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2008, 04:48:14 pm »
After downloading the 64 bit verion by accident and finding that it didn't work, I spent another 7 hours downloading the proper version. I made a DVD in SUSE11 and went for it. But "it" didn't happen! The PC kept telling me that it could not find an operating system on the DVD. I then tried a number of DVD players but still nothing. After writing a second DVD it booted to the splash screen and after choosing check DVD found that this was OK. I then went for the install.
Loads of numbers and things came up on the screen and I was most pleased, but then everything stopped. The last line said something about an error, no problems, I thought, just start it again, and again, and again............ You get the picture?
I shall now buy, borrow or steal a copy of Windoze MCE and forget the linux option.

jondecker76

• Alumni
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2008, 04:59:49 pm »
Do you remember what the error was?

madmanbob

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2008, 05:37:21 pm »
No, it was a couple of lines of text. I will have another go on my PC screen this time and write down what it tells me. Only trouble is that I can't use the web if the spare PC is plugged into the screen as I only have one DVI to DVI cable.

madmanbob

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2008, 06:26:00 pm »
Just tried it again and this is what happens:
Goes through everything to 'Writing mode tables'
Then this comes up as text on the screen:

[  197.166952] ========================
[  197.167005] Code: Bad EIP value.
[  197.167130] EIP: [<80003160>] 0x80003160 SS:ESP 0068: c03dfe54
[  197.167265] Kernal panic-not syncing: fatal exception in interrupt

Does that mean anything?

jondecker76

• Alumni
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2008, 06:50:48 pm »
Searching google for "Code: Bad EIP Value" shows a lot of results, almost all of which say its a hardware issue (you have some piece of hardware that is not linux-friendly). It could be as simple as your NIC card, or all the way to the motherboard.

Here is one of the google search results - maybe reading through the thread you'll get an idea of which hardware the Kernel doesn't like. http://www.linuxcompatible.org/bad_eip_value_t30498.html
I even read that it could be the CD/DVD drive its self. They installing with a minimum of hardware installed - maybe at least then you can see if it is the motherboard its self or not.

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2008, 10:35:44 pm »
Also its pretty clear the first dvd was a bad burn - one of the most common probs here... A single bit wrong on such a lot of code can be catastrophic. It is very important that you burn the disk on the _slowest_ possible speed your drive allows.

madmanbob

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2008, 04:20:27 pm »
Not the DVD. I have just tried a reburn at the slowest speed. Taken out all the cards, and left only grafix,one hard drive and one DVD drive - still no luck.
Not going to bother anymore and will buy a multimedia center thing to plug into the TV instead.