Author Topic: Must I abandon pluto?  (Read 4793 times)

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Must I abandon pluto?
« on: February 01, 2006, 12:02:08 pm »
Hi folks
I'm registered since nov05 and I started with version 2.0.0.32 on a core/hybrid, but there are many problems:
Onscreen display on core/hybrid run only 640x480, so part of image is off screen.
Tried diskless boot MD with two other PCs, none reach the end of boot.
CDs not working, DVD too
Upgrade to 2.0.0.34 and 2.0.0.35 don't work at all.
After two months must I abandon the project?. It's so difficult for a non Linux users follow this project?
Help me please
gillen

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Probably...
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2006, 06:05:23 pm »
I'll pass along the same response I got from the MythTV community--but a little more kindly.  :)

If you're not willing to roll up your sleeves and dig into what makes Linux tick, you shouldn't be trying to build your own Pluto system (or MythTV system, for that matter).  You MUST be somewhat familiar with Linux (basic operation, as well as some tech stuff) if you are to be successful in configuring your system.  Unfortunately, you won't find all the answers to your questions in one place.  It's not that you won't get help...but you're expected to jump through the hoops of finding answers yourself first.

How do you think the Pluto folks are able to provide the software and some support free?  By selling assembled systems that are "ready to go" to those people who can't/won't do the legwork themselves.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Must I abandon pluto?
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2006, 01:32:46 am »
But yet Pluto's web site is happy to promote Pluto as a plug and play appliance that does not require one to have knowledge about Linux.

What I find frustrating is that error messages are not much help, and also don't seem to be result in error at the end of the operation...

I had an install that completed but errors (not displayed only logged, sort of) meant the install was bad, It took me some digging to figure out why I could not connect to the core.

A nice 'operation had errors check log' as a minimum would be good.

I have not given up yet though...I wish to see this work

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Must I abandon pluto?
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2006, 08:51:33 am »
But yet Pluto's web site is happy to promote Pluto as a plug and play appliance that does not require one to have knowledge about Linux.

yes, it's true. we're trying to come with a easy to use system for non linux users; as an apliance.
this why we have a network of dealers that will do the job for those who don't want to get involved in setup process; this includes hw also.

but we also are giving for free the software, since people who are close to linux/computers or programming, because this actually is not our market target. we insetead receive feedback, fix bugs, make the product better, since it will take so much time to find problems by ourselves.

Hi folks
I'm registered since nov05 and I started with version 2.0.0.32 on a core/hybrid, but there are many problems:
Onscreen display on core/hybrid run only 640x480, so part of image is off screen.
Tried diskless boot MD with two other PCs, none reach the end of boot.
CDs not working, DVD too
Upgrade to 2.0.0.34 and 2.0.0.35 don't work at all.
After two months must I abandon the project?. It's so difficult for a non Linux users follow this project?
Help me please
gillen

every release cd is tested before made public, so all that you say it's not working for you, actually should work.
-to change resolution just go to pluto-admin > devices > media directors
there's a button there 'setup resolution'
-you need to add a new room for new md, the add the md, assign that room and provide mac address for md. run setup diskless, reload router, and should work
-you need to install a third party software, there are some sites that provide packages like: libdvdcss, id-my-disc, drivers for pvr cards.
here's one that i found: http://www.yttron.as.ro/ follow the instructions
-the upgrade should work fine.
if yu have problems like these try to post in mantis, forum or try live support, maybe we can assist you to see what causes the problems. but be sure first that you do the installation right. there's a lot of documentation for each step of the setup.
when you go to pluto-admin > wizard, on the right side there a help button, try to read the info.

we provide free support, so please contact us anytime.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Must I abandon pluto?
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2006, 09:38:35 am »
I agree with above opinions. Are you aware of any SW that runs on Linux with plug'n'play functionality on all possible HW user can imagine ?

This is certainly impossible - Pluto will be plug'n'play on reference HW that will be chosen and intensively tested.

Maybe you could get some help of some Linux friends or Plut support. I run Pluto with video surveillance, telephony, 4 diskless MDs and it works. There are features missing, but progress is fast right now....

And all I can say is express of gratitude to all Pluto team for efforts.

Regards,

Rob.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Must I abandon pluto?
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2006, 10:09:01 am »
Could you point out where to find the list of dealers?

Thanks

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Must I abandon pluto?
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2006, 10:22:27 am »
we don't have a list that we've made public yet, we're going to release a stable version for public and dealers. then we'll make public more info, where to find a dealer, tested hardware, etc.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Must I abandon pluto?
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2006, 10:50:15 am »
Hi
Let me try to explain my feelings. First of all I'm Italian and I'm not so good to explain my thoughts in english. That I want to say is that I tried all suggestions written by dan.g without results. I'd contact with radu.c online too.
I know problems related with integration between hardware and software in the windows world (my first pc was Spectrum of the Clive uncle, year 1982)
and I'm sure for Linux is the same.
So excuse me for all my sententes in the first post, I was in a ugly moment.
I really appreciate your work and I would like to continue follow your project I hope with best results that I'd until now.

Tinia
I read all your posts because I think you are an user very active in the forum with a lot of suggestions, but trust me is frustrating for me after two months don't have not even a CD playing....

Best regards
gillen

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Dealers
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2006, 07:33:40 am »
Have you made a list of dealers public yet and if so where can that be found.

Thanks