Author Topic: Can someone please explain the interaction between LinuxMCE setup and MythTV.  (Read 3246 times)

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
I'm trying to sort out my MythTV setup and things keep getting messed up and I don't know why.  At one point I had MythTV working fairly ok, my three sources (TV card, S-video, Firewire) had the correct Schedules Direct info, changing to a channel above 99 would switch the input to s-video and change the channel on my cable set top box (the only way to get channels above 99), and all seemed well.  At one point I noticed my schedules had reverted to a previous bad config (long story but I've had to change what SD provider schedule goes with what input), but I got that cleared up.  Fast forward to today, once again my provider schedule info is messed up, wrong providers for the various inputs.  Ok fine, I figure whenever I do some task, be it reload the router, restart mythtvbackend, reboot the core, whatever it is that causes this, it updates my provider/source mapping.  So now I re-run the setupwizard, redefine what providers go with what input, and now my provider schedule/input is all screwed up, 5 providers, not sure if anything is mapped right, whatever.

Instead of screwing with this more and possible screwing something up worse, PLEASE explain to me how I am supposed to map provider schedules to inputs.  The wiki page I found basically just describes using the myth-setup from computing, but that setup gets fubar'd.

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
At this point it's all cleaned up, again.  No duplicate devices found, but I have recently switched from DirectTV to Comcast cable, removed old STB and added new, added TV card, added firewire (within Myth only), changed Schedules Direct providers..  Then I changed which schedule went to a couple devices.  Instead of cable and digital cable based on what they actually receive, I have to use cable for the firewire which is almost correct in order to keep it from trying to tune a channel above 99 which really screws it up.  Lots of changes, but after it was all cleaned up "something" screwed it up again.  I've now removed all the schedules from myth-setup, then went through the LinuxMCE media setup, then back into myth-setup to add the firewire provider (can't do anything with firewire in linuxmce media setup). 

Unfortunately it looks like I am going to be forced to remove my firewire setup completely.  Firewire uses the same STB as s-video, s-video can tune all the channels instead of 2-99 like firewire, and after posting both here then later on a mythtv forum it appears there is no way to tell Myth it can't use the firewire and s-video inputs at the same time (both changing the channel of the one-tuner STB to what they think they are showing/recording).

jondecker76

• Alumni
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
If you're comfortable with mysql-
I had a problem once with having multiple schedules direct data all assigned to one input. I fixed it my manually editing the videotypes Table in the mythconverg database.  THen you can also ceck out the capturecard and cardinput tables to make sure everything looks alright (the cardinput table assigns Schedule Direct data to a capturecard)

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
I don't want to mess with mysql tables, and at this point I believe everything is setup as correct as it can be.  It just appears to be a limitation in Myth that you cannot manually tell two separate inputs that they cannot be active at the same time. 

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
Re-install?  No way am I going to go through that torture again unless I go out and buy fully supported plug and play TVs and remote controls, additional TV cards (HD Homerun?), new media director, etc.  Too much time making LinuxMCE work with my current A/V equipment, not to mention config of my DNS (dynamic DNS provider, custom script on my server) and e-mail servers.  Yes, my core/md hybrid is also my personal e-mail and dns server.

I've clawed and scratched my way to where I am now, switching from 1 nic (which worked fine when I was using static IPs) to the recommended 2 nic setup now that I switched Internet providers and no longer have static IPs.  Switched TV providers from sat to cable.  Added new TV sources (tuner and firewire) now that I can use them with cable and the new STB.  Added USBUIRT plus dual sending units to both MDs.  Added new devices for both TVs, including learning codes for them (I need to fix a few, I used my 9 year old as slave labor to be the button presser and I think he goofed up a few).  Manually found the codes via log files to program my non-supported remote controls.  I've spent several hundred $$ and way too many hours getting to where I am now after being sucked in by the demo video and "life is great, everything works even if you need to do a couple tweeks here and there" wiki.  No way will I reinstall at this point.

When I'm ready to buy a new TV I'll make sure it's a listed plug and play model (or at least a supported pre-configured one in the web admin).  My next MD will be all 100% verified supported parts like the core/md router I finally broke down and built was (and works great).  If I knew what MS MCE remotes are 100% plug and play I'd buy one from e-bay, but the model numbers I see on there don't match the MS MCE remote wiki.  Perhaps I'll buy a gyro mouse, but only if I match model numbers to known ones, brand and name isn't good enough for me any longer.  Eventually I'll buy a known plug and play surround sound receiver.  etc. etc. etc.  ONLY after that would I consider re-installing.

Oh, sorry for the rant, got a bit carried away.  Anyway, I'm trying to do things the correct way, so no messing with mysql tables or such.  If MythTV can't deal with firewire and s-video on the same STB, I'll just drop firewire and not try to make it do something it doesn't have as an intended feature or function.

Back to the original question though, in order to do things the way linuxMCE expects, how does LinuxMCE interact with MythTV for provider schedules?  Is there anyone who knows this and can answer?