Author Topic: Audio Dropouts throughout movies.  (Read 945 times)

rodercot

Audio Dropouts throughout movies.
« on: August 26, 2008, 12:00:28 am »

Hey All,

I remember reading a post about fixing audio dropouts and maybe with asound.conf file or the like. I have searched and searched the wiki and the forums with no luck. If someone can remember where that post is at, I could really use the link to it.

This was only happening at the very beginning of a movie initially now it seems to have increased by two to three times per movie with DD, DTS, Stereo. All on the SPDIF input though. Has anyone played with the Asus 7.1 Cards at all. I may just get another X-plosion 7.1 and use it they work perfectly all the time with the C-media chipset and no varying volume problems etc..

TIA,

Dave

jeangot

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Audio Dropouts throughout movies.
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 12:19:36 am »
Dave,

I had a similar problem on my MSI Media Live, although the cuts where much more frequent than 2 or 3 times per movie. More like 2 or 3 times per minute.

Here was the solution I found:

I added:
options snd_hda_intel position_fix=1

at the end of:
/etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base

Maybe it helps you...

Jean

rodercot

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2008, 12:30:34 am »
Hi Jean,

Thanks for the quick reply. I will try it out now.

rgds,

Dave

rodercot

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2008, 01:58:16 pm »
Jean,

Well that seems to help throughout the core of the movie however on initial start of playback, I think when the system is looking at the stream I get a big pause and then playback. I will try again tonight as I had to reboot the hybrid this morning. I only did a regen after editing the options so it may not have propogated the fix.

Dave

jeangot

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2008, 05:04:24 pm »
Dave,

yes indeed a reboot would be needed, since this option is applied at the time when linux loads the driver for the sound card. By the way is your sound card also using the snd_hda_intel driver? Otherwise this option is irrelevant.
It's very possible that it wouldn't work anyway, as I remember there were dozens of other suggestions on ubuntu forums when I was looking for this. This was the only one that worked for me, but yours could be a different issue... Anyway, it's worth a try...

Jean